Single piston engines

Page 2 of 5
Mike Hunter wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about....
Crosleys in boats(inboard & outboard):
http://www.ggw.org/~cac/EngineTree/Crosley_Eng_Tree-3.html http://www.ggw.org/~cac/EngineTree/Crosley_Eng_Tree-4.html http://hometown.aol.com/homelite55/index.html
Rob

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:55:52 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Brazed steel) overhead cam engine, and the replacement cast iron engine was also a totally inhouse overhead cam design.

I stand corrected.
mike

Only if you can get a horse to ride it:)
Al

Humans are able to develop about 1 HP. THey can't maintain it for very long.
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

Then it's not 1 hp. Horsepower takes time into account.
Rob

Yeah, it is.
Another term for it would be peak horsepower.
But still, people can develop 1 HP. Period.
In determination of power, there is no requirement that the power be maintained for any period of time.
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

The very definition of horsepower is ALL ABOUT TIME...:
"33,000 ftlbs per MINUTE" is one horsepower.
A boiler horsepower is used for boilers in power plants. It is equal to 33,475 Btu/h (9.8095 kW), which is the energy rate needed to evaporate 34.5 lb (15.65 kg) of water at 212 F (100 C) IN ONE HOUR.
There is no measurement of horsepower w/o the time factored in.
Rob

Right, and if you do 1/60th of the work (550 ft-lbs) in one second, then you still are developing 1 HP. The ft-lbs is the amount of energy needed to life 550 lbs 1 ft or 1 lb 550 ft.
Power is work divided by time. The time is not specified. If a 150-lb person climbs 7 1/3 feet of stairs in 2 seconds, during the 2 seconds he has an average power output of 1 HP (assuming your 33,000 ft-lbs per minute is accurate). Now assume that the same person climbs 220 ft (a 22 story building) in 1 minute. That's a lot. This like 1 story every 3 seconds. He would be doing 33,000 lb ft work working (lifting a 150 lb object 220 ft) in one minute.
1100 lb-ft / 2 sec = 33,000 lb-ft / 60 sec. You don't need to maintain the same power output for a full minute for it to be the same power output.

Look at what you wrote. 33,475 Btu/h = 9.8 kW. A watt is also the unit for electrical power. A 100 W lamp uses 100 W of electricity whether it is on for 1 second or 5 years. There is no requirement that a light bulb remain on for particular period of time to achieve a particular power rating. That is because the amount of power developed is not related to the duration of power generation.

Correct. The power is the work divided by time it took the work. And I (227.5 lb) climb a stairwell that is 145 ft high in 1 minute, I will do 33,000 lb ft of work, which is one HP sustained for 1 minute. If I climb a stairwell that is 2.42 ft high in 1 sec, I will be doing 1/60th of the work (550 ft lb) in one second. The rate (550 ft lb per second) is equal to 33,000 ft lb per minute (550 ft lb per s times 60 s per minute = 33,000 ft lb per minute).
So, I can reasonably sustain 1 HP of work for a few seconds (maybe climb a 7 ft staircase in 3 seconds), but, until I get in better shape, I doubt I can sustain 1 HP for a minute. If I try, I might be riding in the back of a 300 HP vehicle (an ambulance).
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

Well, you can't be the 1 hp for that bike, then, of you want to get somewhere, & have your belongings & appointments with you for the work day.
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

You're embarrassing yourself in front of the world on an archived forum, that people will be able to read, for some years to come...
I'd stop digging such a big hole if I were you.
Does my car's engine not put out a true 150 hp on a dynamometer if I only run it for 10 seconds? One second? Or even a handful of crankshaft revolutions? How long do you think you need to produce a particular horsepower reading before it becomes 'real' enough for you?
If you think through your answers you might see where you've screwed up. Or else you're trolling and I should take this hook out of my mouth.
Mark Olson wrote:

Well, how about that 1 hp human powered bike. That's all I'm talking about here, 1 hp just cannot be usefully sustained by a human for practical transportation. 2-3 minutes just won't get you to work on a bike. That's all.
Your car's engine can have instantaneous HP way beyond 150. It just won't last long.
Rob
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:16:23 -0400, trainfan1

Has anyone else noticed how cities are building more and more of those 'bike paths' and 'walking paths' that stretch the entire length of the city?
I have here and they never really admit the reasons for it.
When the CO2 car taxes starts, some people won't have any freedom to drive cars as much as they do now.
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:18:06 -0400, trainfan1

strong human can produce 746 watts of power (1 HP) for 35 seconds to 90 seconds? He has still produced one HP of power. He may sustain only 500 watts for several minutes, or 300 watts for an hour. (numbers may be off a bit, but general range)

"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message

Top speed on a good day was 85mph. Mileage was only in the thirties highway. A underpowered tin can that everytime you pulled out of a blind city intersection it was a stomp and pray adventure. Same specs for that '64 Beetle I had......
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 21:56:46 GMT, "Repairman"

putting the last 18000 of 246,000 miles on it. The accellerator pedal was operated as a switch - it was either off or to the floor. Maximum speed in 3rd gear was either 60 or 65 MPH, with top gear 5 lower (It's a long time - can't remember if it was 60 and 55 or 65 and 60 - but it was faster in third than forth due to lack of adequate power) Low gear accelleration (city driving "get out and go") was more than adequate with the gearing and 10 inch tires.
Now, my 1949 VW 998 (or 996, whatever - 10 taxable horsepower) (military kubelwagen engine) moved the old bug at a sprightly 45MPH top speed with a gentle tailwind, with all the get up and go of a tired sloth. IIRC mileage ran in the 30MPG range on a good day.(British gallon) (No better than 12km per liter)

but 'with a redesign to make it smaller(!)'. If it gets any smaller it will be a golf cart!!! Sadly they don't give a source, so could be baloney.
www.fordaspire.com claims Ford is releasing the Fiesta in the US- it's bigger than the Ka but smaller than the Focus. The basic Fiesta actually gives a better MPG than the Ka though.
Just as an experiment, I looked on craigslist for something similar to the 10 year old Fiesta or Corsa a British motorist on a budget might buy. It simply doesn't exist- hardly anything smaller than a Corolla or Escort.
I'm glad things are slowly improving.
Bob Brown wrote:

W/ minimum required Federal emissions & safety equipment, about $13,500.00.
Rob

Probably less. You can get a Yaris for < $12,000, a fit for <$14,000, Hyundai Accent for <$11,000 and a John Deere Utility vehicle with four-wheel drive, 3-pt restraints and a 4-cyl engine for just $9500.
Jeff