Single piston engines

Page 3 of 5

I still can't get anyone to explain why young people will buy a brand new car, make payments for 5 years? I'm talking about people with jobs that pay just around $10-12 an hour.
What happened to buying within your budget?
The same person could buy a 10-15 yr old car dirt cheap and be able to actually save money for a house or health care insurance?
I actually have known several people who worked full-time ay Taco Bell, McDonalds, places like that, who bought new cars and made outrageous payment and high car insurance payments. They complained all the time about being broke. I had at least $400 per month more than they did, they'd ask me when I was going to get a new car. I'd always answer "In never years."
"Bob Brown" <.> wrote in message

I think it's all about appearances... I have a kid working part time for me that pays $240 a month for her Hyundai Accent, and pays about the same again in insurance... I make about 8 times what she does, and my newest vehicle is 10 years old. But my cars aren't nearly as shiny as hers :)
Teknical wrote:

Being an accent, even if yours was a ford escort it would still be better :)
Bob Brown wrote:

These people don't care... i drive old junk, and combined my wife and i make more than friends i have living alone, buying bikes, trucks, partying all the time.
Mind you 20% of both our salaries goes to rrsp's, and about 10% goes directly in to home improvements (for now)
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:09:44 -0400, trainfan1

Since I don't buy new cars, how much cheaper is that than a comparable sub-compact car that is 4 cylinder?
Bob Brown wrote:

It isn't.
Economies of scale dictate that a comparable sub-compact car that is 4 cylinder, & Federally compliant(Suzuki,Hyundai,Daewoo,etc.), would cost less.
Rob
If the only cars sold were the midget cars, you can bet they price will need to more than doubled ;)
mike

The Japanese manage to do it quite well with "kei cars". They are limited to about 600cc engines, small, fuel sipping, agile little cars, trucks, and vans. And most sell for under 750,000 yen (under $7500 roughly)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_car
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:23:04 -0400, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Actually there was a car almost exactly as you describe with a one cylinder engine.
It was the "King Midget" and was made from the 50's until the mid '70's. Google "King Midget" to find out about them.
Doug
Forget 1-cyl. They have balance/vibration problems making them unsuitable for autos. I doubt there are even any serious mot'cycles with 1-cyl anymore (there were years ago).
The closest I've seen to what you describe was the NSU Prinz:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSU_Prinz
'Twere a -very- tiny german car with a 2-cyl. 600cc air-cooled 'cycle engine (RWD). I drove one in '64: it rattled a bit but was perfectly functional around town.
I 'spect the reason such a car is now totally impractical is because of the grand proliferation of "The Great American Pigmobile": no visibility from such a tiny car, and they'd likely kill ya. It has become a "cultural" thing.
Al
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:23:04 -0400, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:05:09 GMT, Alphonse Q Muthafuyer

Or the Honda N360, Honda 600, Subaru 360,Subaru FF1, Toyota UP7 (Seven UP), all of which there are examples of in both Canada and the US. Or even the Fiat "little mouse" 500 and 600.

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:03:15 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

None of which I've ever seen.
Come to think of it, the Renault Dauphine was likely in the ballpark. They sold 'em in the E. US in the early 60's. Before Honda exported their Moped+ stuff to the US, if I'm not mistaken.
Al
"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:53:58 -0500, Alphonse Q Muthafuyer

The Dauphine was a 750 to 850 cc - 19 to 32 HP 1956 to 1965, 4 cyl Water cooled. Only the 850 came to North America. (including the Dauphine Gordini sport.

<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:

Friends had one with the small engine.. It wouldn't go up hill with a full load of passengers - even if the passengers were 8th-graders.

Pert near what I expected.
They had a big marketing campaign in my home town around 1961. Sold a bunch 'cause they were cheap.
By '67, it was rare as hens teeth to see one on the road.
Al
"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
The poor Dauphine, it was like the French Army, it 'surrendered' rather quickly. The 2CV was worse, when one considers their selling price in the US vis a v its competition. LOL
mike
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:>>Come to think of it, the Renault Dauphine was likely in the

DH wrote:

No, production ceased in 1990

I wonder what car has been in production the longest. Reportedly, the Peugeot 504 is still in production in Kenya. It start production in the early 70s or late 60s.
Jeff

Wikipedia claims production stopped in November.
Would really depend what you classed as the same car. For instance the Fiesta has been going over here since 1976. However it shares little in common with the orginal but the name. The British mini was bascially the same car from 1959 to 2000, but now the same issues as with the Fiesta. Ditto the Beetle.