Single piston engines

Page 4 of 5
On 29 Apr, 11:51, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Offtopic (although it is a Ford owned company) but I think I've managed to answer my own question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Defender
It really depend on how one defines "car." The Corolla is mostly the one sold with the same name, but the Corollas sold today are not the same vehicles that were sold in the past. In fact current ones sold as a different car, depending on which county one finds one.
There are two that I can think of that were sold as the original vehicle, on the same basic chassis, for many years and they are the Ford model "T" and the VW Beetle, with the Beetle selling in larger numbers and the "T" selling for more years, as I recall
I'm sure if one really wanted to know a search could lead to the definitive answer
mike

The 21,529,464 VW Beetles were made over a period of 65 years (1938 to 2003) vs. 16,500,000 Ford Model T's over 19 year (1908 to 1927). VW made the Beetles alongside new Beetle in Mexico until the end. In addition, VW made them in Brasil for a long time, until around 2000.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bestselling_vehicle_nameplates

Although I wouldn't call Wikipedia definitive, I think in this case, it is accurate.
It is hard to keep this sort of list updated and many vehicles are missing. I think the AMC Concord/Eagle, Ford Contour/Mercury Mistake/Ford Mondeo, Dodge Ram, Ford Econoline, Chevy C10/Silverado & GMC pickup series, Renault R5/Le Car (in US), as well as some odd vehicles like Thomas Built Buses (Saf-T-Liner series), maybe some Mack Trucks or International/Navistar trucks, WWII Jeeps, and many other vehicles are missing and should be in the list.
Jeff

I know somebody would do the search, but the site used is well know for inaccuracies or for not being up to date. I.E. There were "Ts" before 1908 and the F150 has been number one seller for 30 years not 23 ;)
mike
.

You need to expand your searches. If you do you will find there were "Ts" before 1908. Go to the Ford Museum and you will see an early sixties model Mercury convertible with the WRONG model year on the information referring to it. ;)
mike

You are free to believe whatever you choose, but the fact remains there were "Ts" before 1908 and the F150 has been number one seller for 30 years not 23 ;)
mike

I think you are deceiving yourself, you simply can not resist replying to ANYBODIES posts, in any NG. LOL
mike

< redundancies deleted>

I'd fancy the Land Rover Defender (59 years and counting) to beat that, although the sales are obviously much smaller. Again it would depend how strict one was, as the Land Rover has developed slowly over the years. But it's still the same basic shape from the same factory.
wrote in message

I don't know if there were major differences between the VW Beetles made before and after WWII, but after WWII, the VW Beetles were pretty much the same until they stopped production 4 years ago. Same basic engine and parts.
I don't know if you could say that for the Land Rove or not.
But, either way, this speaks to the durability of the vehicle, built by Ford (now).
Jeff

No, in that case they have changed more than the Beetle did, but if you put a 1948 and a 2007 Land Rover side by side and removed all the badges etc, you would tell straight away they were the same vehicle. The chassis and bodywork are very similar. You couldn't say that about a Corolla, for instance.

Indeed.
wrote in message

The Peugeot 504 that is pictured as still for sale at www.peugeot.co.ke looks identical to the one that I learned to drive in in 1981. According to wikipedia, the 504 is the 53rd best-selling car of all time (tied) - I know because I just added the entry. The wikipedia article says in some places that it is still being made and other places says that it ceased production in 2006. So who knows?
I would guess that the Peugeot 504 that was last produced was the same basic design as the original, but with a new engine and transmission, but probably the same body and 4-wheel independent suspension as the original. So it is an updated version of the original model rather than an all new model like the Fiesta.
Jeff
On Apr 24, 10:23 pm, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Yamaha XT-450, only one cylinder, used probably can be had for under $3000, dirt cheap insurance. Small, fuel efficient, nimble and goes most places modern SUVs cannot. I think they get between 40 to 50 mpg.
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/kingmidget3.html
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:23:04 -0400, Bob Brown <.> wrote:

Big problen is emissions. A 3.5HP 4 stroke lawn mower produces more polution than a current 3.8 V6.

"clare at snyder.on.ca" wrote in message

While that is true, there is no reason why a 3.5 HP engine has to produce more pollution (NOx and SOx) than a current car engine. There is no reason why you can't put the same pollution controls on a 3.5 HP motor that are on a 3.8 V6.
Ditto a 40 HP engine that would power a small car.
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/apr/18/epa_proposing_limits_lawnmower_emissions /