Slick 50 - FROM THE BEGINNING?

Page 1 of 3
First, a thank you to all who contributed to making my Ford Contour last to 156K before I traded it in.
Now I've got a 2004 Ford Taurus, purchased in February at 20K miles
(Certified pre-owned, 6 years/75K warranty). I'm ready for my first oil change. Having a debate with the dealer mechanic. I was going to have them put in Slick 50, which my dad insists is a great preventative: an engine lubricated with Slick 50 every 50,000 miles from the very beginning won't experience engine part break-down, he says.
The dealer argues. Oil today (I'll be using 5-20) is so good, you don't need Slick 50 and will NOT suffer any engine part damage until... well, don't start using it until 80K, after your warranty expires, he says. My paranoid internal reaction: "You want me to neglect the slick 50 for the first 80K so that the second the warranty expires, I'll start having unceasing engine problems."
Thoughts? I used Slick 50 in the contour from the get-go (bought it 3 years old with 30K on it).
RW
--
--------------------------------------
"I'm a Slytherin, Potter," Malfoy reminded him.

If you want to be nice to your engine, use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and a quality filter and leave the snake oils on the shelf.
Teknical wrote:

Ditto. I don't see how you could do better.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I agree. 2000 Taurus with a duratec and 156K miles. Mobil1 from the start. Not a hiccup yet.
Rebecca Webb wrote:

Weeelll, here goes. Oil additives are mostly snake oil, period. There is no substitute for regular oil changes with quality oil. (I prefer synthetic myself). In 1979 I bought a 1978 Mustang II with a 2.3L motor. Those motors were famous for lack of oil to the camshaft, cam failures, etc. From 4500miles to 190,000 miles I used a can of Wynns Friction Proofing in the oil at each oil change. The car was scrapped by another owner at ~220,000 miles still "running". Would the motor have gone that many miles without the Wynns? Maybe, but there is no way to tell. I saw many of these motors go into the upper 100Ks without failure and without the Wynns FP. If you change your oil with quality oil and a quality filter, there is no reason it will not last 100K or more. After 150K it's a crapshoot, regardless of oil or additives. If there is a casting flaw somewhere in the motor, or anything like that, no additive in the world will stop the inevitible. Slick 50 will certainly not harm your motor, but there is no real way to tell if there is any benefit. If Pop insists on it, pour it in. Then you will both be happy.
            Regards, Tom

Slick 50 and it's ilk will definitely harm your motor. The PTFE (Teflon) in it plugs the tiny oil passages, effectively starving that part of the engine for oil, greatly -increasing- wear.
Plus, the makers of Slick 50 were busted by the FTC about 5 years ago for deceptive advertising.
The OP should stay away from it. Regular oil changes with regular oil, not the $expensive Mobil 1, will work just fine. If you don't race your car, regular oil will work just fine.

Slick 50 also almost did not make it to market because of this. Dupont did not want to sell the PTFE ( Dupont is the creator of PTFE ) to the makers of Slick 50 for that very fact and warned the makers to not produce the product for it's intended purposes. The makers of Slick 50 as far as I know sued and won, Dupont had no choice.
pick one wrote:

I stand corrected, big time. I wasn't aware of this. I don't use oil additives and don't recommend them. I tend to consider additives as snake oil (useless) but I've never heard about them actually causing harm. If a customer insists, I go along with his wishes with the proper caveats. Does anyone have documentation that Slick 50 or any other additive actually causes harm in a motor?             Tom

Cold causes the 'teflon' to fall out of suspension, also. DYODD.

http://skepdic.com/slick50.html http://www.blbglaw.com/settlements/quaker_state_consumer.html You can find more if you just do a search.
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:22:50 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:

Good links, thanks!
later,
tom

Not a slick 50 fan, but the ftc comment can be misleading. Advertisers will constantly push the limit, because they got smacked around doen't void the product. Example I saw some new blurb about listerine being forced to stop saying their mouthwash was healthy for your teeth like flossing. Not a reflection on the product, just how they were advertising it.

later,
tom @ www.BookmarkAdmin.com
snipped-for-privacy@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb) wrote in

First off, 156,000 miles isn't a lot these days. In 1970 it would have been remarkable. My dad put 140K on a 1958 Dodge, and it was the talk of the town at the time. The fact that you got 156K on your Contour doesn't mean much. If you'd got to 300K and were still getting 2K per quart of oil, then you could think about bragging.
Secondly, if Slick 50 or other was that good, wouldn't the manufacturers themselves recommend them? Oils are full of additives already, so what would one more substance be? Instead, they emphatically UNrecommend them. Some links here: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#additives
Especially check out the "skepdic" link.
--
TeGGeR

Rebecca Webb opined in

Lots of "Dad's" swear by Pennzoil and Fram Filters, too...
Just use what the dealer supplies or Mobil 1, forget the additives and when he asks you about the slick 50, say "Sure do, Dad"
Motorcraft or Purolator filters, never FRAM
And i'm older than he is probably

I agree completely. I would go with Mobil 1, but Motorcraft should be fine.
Kendell and valvoline are good oils, too; NAPA and Wix are very good filters as well.

I'm not, I think. ;-)
Jeff

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Backyard Mechanic wrote:

And "warming up" the engine for half an hour before driving off, and revving the engine before shutting it down, and pumping the accelerator while cranking the engine...
Slick 50 will not do much other than help your money slide more easily into the pockets of the folks who make it. Consumer Repots among several groups has tested it more than once and if flat out does not help. Of course, it didn't hurt either but that's a whole lot of cash to fork out for what amounts to an engineering placebo. Frequent oil changes, good quality filters and the use of a quality motor oil will do more than anything else to prolong the life of your car. Save the dough, buy more frequent oil changes.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

I have a some thoughts. First, I have rebuilt several engines, and there is no way Slick 50 will plug any oil passages. If the teflon particles were big enough to do this, it would plug your oil filter. Running crap like Quaker State in a cold climate, on short trips, year after year will surely leave a thick, waxy, sludge in your upper engine. I have seen it in engines I tore down.
Second, I have used nothing but Valvoline semi-synthetic in my old Ranger with a 4 cylinder for the last ten years. It has 150,000 plus and doesn't burn a quart in 2,000 miles or leak a drop. No additives.
Third, the advice here about using almost any oil filter EXCEPT those junk Fram filters is correct.
Fourth, if your father tells you it works and it seems to have worked for you in the past, why are you asking? Put the stuff in when the dealer isn't looking.
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Scott wrote:

Yeah? Then how come Chrysler 2.7s and Toyota 3.0s and PRV-V6s have such chronic problems with tiny oil passages clogging even WITHOUT dumping Teflon particles in?

1) You're assuming the Teflon particles *don't* clog the oil filter. 2) Are you aware of what happens to the size of Teflon particles when they are heated? Hint: It doesn't remain the same, and it doesn't decrease.

Or, y'know, she could tell her father to keep his nose out of her car.
Daniel J. Stern wrote:

I made the mistake of trying it in the early 90's. I don't think it cause harm, but eventually I found some crusty brown stuff on the oil filler cap and stuck to the filler hole threads on the valve cover. I have the feeling it'll eventually solidify where it shouldn't.