Slick 50 - FROM THE BEGINNING?

Page 3 of 3

Okay, I'll do it with the emoticon this time:
Will Fleet Farm accept a return on an unopened bottle of Slick 50 for store credit if I no longer have the receipt?
:)
See? It means I've decided to embrace the "Don't use it!" point of view that was the consensus here.
--
--------------------------------------
"I'm a Slytherin, Potter," Malfoy reminded him.

It's that intangible thing called "experience".
Part of the reason Wal-Mart grows so fast is they stand behind the crap they sell. GM & Ford are doing poorly b/c they refuse to stand behind the decent quality stuff they make.
If Fleet Farm's policy is customer satisfaction ' might need to ask for a manager. If their policy is some form of receipt she might only need print out a bank/CC statement showing a purchase there in that price range.
Hence, ask here first, others might have prior experience / suggestions.
If you're really bothered Daniel, don't post !
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:50:15 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb) wrote:

Daniel has always had that Unique way with words.
Daniel with words, Mike Tyson with Finances, Don King with Hair, Everyone has their weaknesses. Deep down, I'm sure his heart's in the right place.

It's not a lubricant. It's just crud that floats in the oil doing nothing.
I wouldn't put any additive containing PTFE in an engine. The dealer is right- additives do more harm than good, especially ones like Slick 50 that contain PTFE. I've heard that one study found that PTFE-based additives actually cause MORE cylinder wall wear because the solids in the additive fill microscopic voids in the cylinder walls that should be filled with oil.
And aside from that, I've had a lot of engines last over 200,000 miles using nothing but engine oil, and some not even with very good oil:
'66 Dodge 383- 265,000 miles on the original engine '73 Plymouth 318 - 430,000 miles on the original engine, still going '93 Eagle Vision 3.5L- 220,000 miles on Mobil-1, still going.
And other members of my family over the years:
-92 Dodge truck 5.2- 215,000 miles still going (using cheap dino oil) -68 Ford 302- 210,000 miles (never saw a "modern" oil, much of that life on straight 30-weight oil) -84 Cadillac 4100 (and if you know engines, you know this one SUCKS)- 136,000 miles when sold, still running great (well, as well as it ever did...) -83 Plymouth 318- sold with 215,000 miles and running strong- never saw a drop of synthetic oil.
Rebecca Webb wrote:

I haven't experienced any engine breakdown by NOT using Slick 50. I use Castrol 10 W 30 motor oil.
Save you $$$ and change the oil & filter as regularly scheduled & your motor will last a long time.
Good Luck
000,006 - Feb 4,1991 100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005
Rebecca Webb wrote:

Why do you think your engine will go neglected without Slick 50? API-certified SL quality motor oil contains all the protective additives an engine needs and is far better than the SF and SG quality oils of 15 years ago. The maker of Slick 50 has not proved that their product reduces engine wear at all, even receiving a reprimand by the FTC for making false claims, and Consumer Reports (July 1996) found the addition of Slick 50 produced no significant reduction in engine wear over SH quality oil, the best available back then (now the best is SL).

Respectfully, I don't believe that they were reprimanded for making false claims...they were reprimanded for making claims which they did not have the data to prove. There is a fine distinction.
HLS wrote:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/1997/12/bluecora.do.htm
A couple of data points:
-Slick 50 is now a part of Shell Consumer Products. -Shell also owns Pennzoil & Quaker State -Oil foumulations and additive packages have changed many times, the latest being the GF4 spec. Those changes are not always in the interest of minimizing wear. In fact, it is likely that the oil you bought 10 years ago was better from an anti-wear standpoint. -When oil needs changing, it is not the oil that is used up, but the additive package. -Aftermarket oil additives are usually concentrated detergent packages of the same sort that the refiners use. Slick 50 is an exception due to the PTFE. I suspect the balance is oil and detergesnts. -The company I work for has sold about 1000 quarts per year of Slick 50 for many years. I have yet to hear of any consumer complaint or damage claim through any of our over 100 retail outlets.
--
- -
Rex B

It's harmless snake-oil. A rippoff, but harmless.

I did some testing on PTFE some years ago. I found that PTFE could be burnished into or onto the metal surface and it would leave an invisible film which conveyed fairly decent corrosion protection. I did not at that time test for lubrication effects.
Later we revisited the issue when we were looking for additives which would reduce the wear on oil well pump rods. Sucker rods run thousands of feet to the pump which is located near the completion zone. Since the well tubing is not straight (it deviates a few degrees from vertical in nearly every case, and may have convolutions) the pump rods can rub on the inside of the production tubing and wear each other out. In a series of Edisonian tests (we tested everything we could find) things like Slick 50 and MTM additive were tested. Both reduced friction when used in fairly high concentrations, but not to the extent that we could have used them commercially. (This would not be the case in a closed system like a crankcase.)
A commercial motor oil lubricant package was also tested (from a major oil company). It didn't do much either.
We did find a compound which reduced the friction dramatically even at small doses. Guess what! It was similar to materials used in motor oil additives packages, but of a somewhat different structure ---carried a lot of sulfur.
You have to really be careful when you try to test these things and extrapolate a few observations to a grand conclusion. Things are often not what they seem.
Slick 50 is a slick way to separate you from your money, but that is about all.
The best way to extend the life of an engine is to follow the manufacturers guidelines for oil weight and change oil more frequently the minimums contained in the owners manual.