Sloppy stering 98 Crown Vic

I have a 98 Crown Vic with 106,000 miles. I have been noticing latley that the stering is very sloppy and unresponsive. Two years ago I had the pitnam arm replaced and that seemed to improve handleability.

Now it is getting bad again. Anyone know what could be the problem? I know that these cars all have common problems.

I was told that it is common for ball joints to go in these cars, but my mechanic says that the seem tight enough.

Would worn ball joints cause the car to handle badly and drift all over the road?

msterspy

Well if you've checked your tie rod ends, ball joints, and other obvious points of failure, then you might need new shocks. Does the car seem to bounce excessively when you hit a bump? If so you definitely need new shocks.

Reply to
rodney

I had the shocks replaced a couple of years ago with monroe sensitracs. I think they are okay, no bouncing, but when the car is stopped and I turn the stering wheel left to right I hear clicking like something is loose or worn. I noticed at one point when I jacked up the car to rotate tires, I discovered the upper ball joint protective rubber cover was ripped. Could that make that part wear quickly?

Reply to
msterspy

jack up the front end and shake the front tires holding them at the 12 and 6 position. bet they are loose. bad wheel bearings. seems to be a common problem. they are pressed into the wheel hub - different design and you have to replace the whole hub assy. had to replace both sides at 100k on my 98 and yes, had a bad outer tie rod end go bad too. shocks are still holding.

hope this helps,

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer