slow crank no start 1.9 escort

what are some things that cause a slow crank....I have jumped through and have over 13.5 volts at the escort battery and still get the slow crank....would this be compression? (I dont have a tester)....I have
another escort that I use for parts and have exchanged the coil pack, the module, and the starter.....I hear the fuel pump when I put the key to run before cranking
Dead cell in battery, bad battery cables, bad battery ground, bad starter, way too much ignition timing............

Peter Gennuso wrote:

In the UK Fords used to be notorious for slow cranking. The usual cause was a bad earth(ground) from the engine to the bodywork. Regards, MadNurseGaz
1989 Ford Granada 2.0 GL Hatchback
Although I have a different car, (83 grandmarquis, 302) I agree with the bad grounding issue. Mine used to crank really slow....I thought that was jsut the way it was. But when it eventually didn't start it all, we took it apart, and found that it had two grounds, one of which was broken or burned, I forget which. So that meant all the current had to pass through the one remaining ground cable, which I think would restrict the current flow, causing it not to crank as fast. And also makeing that one wire alot hotter probably.
But fixed that... and that starter would scream!
Nic

Peter Gennuso wrote:

it should be about 10 vlots... if if goes down to less than 9 volts when cranking then the battery is low(probably bad and will not hold a charge)..... do you have the headlights and a/c and all acces. on when getting the 13.5 volts when checking it and the motor is running???? it should be a little higher, and if hyou dont have all this on then the battery is not getting enough current and it could be a bad battery or an alternator or the alt. belt slipping or the brushes in the alt. or the regulator, or other stuff??? and before checking this you have to have a battery that is charged up and tested first before you check other stuff like the alt. and the starter????