sluggish starting 2001 sportrak

My 2001 sporttrack has a nice little time starting on a cold morning. I guess nowadays I can go read the code, but does anyone have trouble with fuel pressure or anything on these models? I am suspecting thats the cause. Runs ok once it finally starts. All my cars are acting up at once with differant problems. October curse!! ugh!

Reply to
ed

ed opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

cycle the prime sequence twice.. (ign on-off-on) does it start better?

pump the accel twice, does it start better?

If it does WORSE after that, trying flooring the accel the next day.

REmember the ECM mimics the actions of a carburetor .. and there's a reason for it.

Thats why you dont touch the accel to start, normally.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ed) wrote in :

Many Sport Tracs eventually develop a sticking Idle Air Control valve (IAC). This will cause the engine to idle poorly or not at all, unless you hold the gas pedal down. You can fix it by removing the IAC, and cleaning and lubricating it. You can find discussions about this -- and instructions on fixing it -- at

(just use the website's search feature).

This may not be the cause of your problem, but I'd almost bet that it is. My wife's ST started out having difficulty starting when cold, which quickly progressed to no idle at any temperature. I found the IAC to be stuck shut!

HTH

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J