Smog check - questions.

Page 1 of 2
'96 Ford Escort LX 1.9L Stick. Due for a Smog-check at a test-only center. Can I take it to any test-only place? Are there things I should be wary of, before I go for it?
Thanks in advance.
--
Today's fortune:
Two rights don't make a wrong, they make an airplane

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:19:14 GMT, "Jim Warman"

lmfao foctard warman if no mil lite on he will pass
obd 2 ever hear of it lmfao
u go girl
hurc ast
us usual, our resident asshole does not answer the question, not gives a smart assed remark that has nothing to do with the posters original question. jims statement is rite on the money. without state or province location, we can not give a true answer of what to look for

Indeed, Tom... here in Alberta we don't even have any clear cut anti-tampering laws regarding emissions controls. All the Alberta government has been able to tell me is that we "can't" do that... there are no penaltes currently in place. Several years ago, I was informed "they are coming"...
Conversely, improper disposal of waste oil and antifreeze or improper refrigerant handling procedures can net both tech and employer some pretty hefty fines.
A quick trip to British Columbia shows an entirely different take on the subject.
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 01:25:13 GMT, "Jim Warman"

lmfao now your babbling what does emmission control have to do with waste oil
lmfao U GO GIRL
hurc ast
Those that know anything regard both as "environmental impact". Zero pollution is an impossible dream.... therefore, it behooves each and everyone of us to minimize the "footprint" we leave behind.
A long time ago, someone astutely observed that "we don't own this planet.... we are borrowing it - from our grandchildren".
Naturally, everyone here doesn't expect you to realize any relevance in this and we await your next meaningless diatribe....

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:02:34 GMT, "Jim Warman"

lmfao more treehugger babble still waiting for that oil change fail an emmission test
hurc ast
now you have done it Jim. with that comment, the village idiot is now going to go out and try to "behoove" the town cow.

what an asshole!!! I may not be the smartest person in the world, but at least I knew what Jim was referring to. you really are an idiot.

Jim Warman wrote:

Pass or don't pay is here in California. How about Alberta?
Frank
Sadly, we have nothing.... no visual, no code scan... nada, nunco, zip. We are so far behind the times that I'm lost for words.
FWIW... under warranty, I am not allowed to defeat emission controls.... when it comes to retail, I refuse to defeat emission controls.
I am certainly no tree hugger... but I do believe that we need to mind our excesses.

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 06:43:00 GMT, "Jim Warman"

he needs to see the real world
hurc ast

you are a retard arnt ya tom
lmfao u better get some obd2 certs
lmfao u go girl
hurc ast

tom wrote:

What is it, spring break?

as usual tom the troll cant read
hurc ast
Sorry, my bad. I live in California, in the Sacramento area.

Thanks in advance.
--
Today's fortune:
The good die young -- because they see it's no use living if you've got
C.G.Senthilkumar. wrote:

C.G., I'm in Los Angeles. Here's my take:
Be wary? Yes, if you don't pass you are screwed. Been there, done that. They don't do repairs. Test only. Of course if you're positive it will pass it doesn't matter. If you're *not* sure, try to find a smog station that will work with you. Talk to them before you commit. Tell them it barely passed last time and you are really worried about it this time. Try to get a feel for whether they will work with you or not.
We have three vehicles and the guys at the local smog shop have gotten to know me. When I come in I usually remind them that I'm a regular with something like "Hi guys, me again" and show my fingers crossed.
When I did my T-Bird this last time they unplugged, then replugged the computer and had me drive on the freeway for 40 minutes and come back. It then passed by a whisker. The second reason to shop is (I'm pretty sure about this) that when your car is hooked up to the computer (at a test only place) and fails there is a record of it in Sacramento. Why pay to get one strike against you?
good explanation. almost the same here in new jersey, but we have both state inspection stations, and private stations. if you go to a state station, it is free,but it is test only, and if you fail, you get 30 days to fix it. at a private station it costs $60 for the test, but they are E.R.F. (emissions repair facility) certified, and can fix it on the spot.

I'm confident that it will pass. But I'm also ignorant as to what they test. What components in the car should be in shape? There are no OBD lights 'on' except for the seat belt. The motorised seat-belt jammed last month and I disconnected the motor for now.
That said, my original concern was, "are there things that the mechanics could do to delibrately fail my car and try to make money out of me?". I might sound rather paranoid given the fact that I'm taking it to a test only center. But this is my first time and I thought it might help to be paranoid than sorry.
Thanks in advance.
--
Today's fortune:
The makers may make