Smog check - questions.

Page 2 of 2
I live in SoCal and have dealt with the smog laws most of my 50 odd years. I get my vehicles smogged at a local shop where I do business on a regular
basis. If your vehicle is an 1987 or newer, the chances are very good it will pass. They will be looking at unburned hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen. A sniffer up the tail pipe will be reading your exhaust gasses. As long as the air filter is good, the MAP and MAS sensors are in working order, the plugs are in fair condition, the gas cap seal is good and the timing and idle are correct, you will pass assuming there are no codes. In the pre '87 days, they fiddled with your idle speed, tweaked the timing, adjusted the idle air mixture and tested the PCV valve, the EGR valve and its crappy little rubber diaphragm, the vacuum advance of the distributor and the choke mechanism along with the AIR injector system. In short, there was a lot more to go wrong. Newer autos using fuel injection and computer controlled ignition and timing burn so much more efficiently that unless those key parts have failed they easily pass. A state smog station is now real guarantee that the test will be done correctly. Ask around and see where your friends go. In my experience, Wal-Mart has been a good bet. They don't do repairs, really don't want to lose their state license, have no incentive to cheat you and are trained and certified by the state to do the test. YMMV of course.
--
R. J. Talley

California smog checks sniff for CO, HC, and NOx at 15mph and 25mph on rollers (the older style smog check does only CO and HC at idle and 2500rpm in neutral). Ignition timing, visual check (for things like check engine lights), and fuel cap are checked.

Seems that test-only stations have less incentive to deliberately cause failures (especially if they offer "pass or retest free") since they won't get any repair business generated by failures (and may not get retest business since a "gold shield" smog repair place can do the retest after repair). But test-only stations tend to be more expensive.
Timothy J. Lee
Are you worried it won`t pass? If you are,I have a few easy things to do that will make it pass.

I don't think so.

Nevertheless, what would these easy things be? They might help..
Thanks in advance.
--
Today's fortune:
All is fear in love and war.