so what's new for the ford 500?

Page 1 of 2
So what does the new Ford 500 have in store?!?!
Is it just a glorified Taurus?
AWD?
It looks nice kinda weird :)

Nothing in common with the Taurus. The 500 and the Mercury Montego are built on a completely new Ford chassis, first offered on Volvos. 200 HP DOC V6. FWD and AWD with a CVT and available six speed tranny. It will be the bench mark for all mid sized cars. Production is under way. Pricing has yet to be announced, but the street says it will be at were Taurus prices left off. The Sable is gone but the Taurus will be built till the end of 2005 in Hapeville, longer if demand is strong. Taurus prices will drop BELOW the 500, nicely equipped Taurus' will go for well below 20K.
mike hunt
asdffdsa wrote:

| Nothing in common with the Taurus. The 500 and the Mercury | Montego are built on a completely new Ford chassis, first offered | on Volvos. 200 HP DOC V6. FWD and AWD with a CVT | and available six speed tranny. It will be the bench mark for | all mid sized cars. Production is under way.
Actually, production starts 12 July 2oo4.
The AWD comes ONLY with the CVT. The six speed is standard on FWD models, with CVT optional...
john cline ii, who hopes that helps.....
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:57:22 GMT, "john cline ii"

I'll be curious to see how people react to the CVT... I've driven a Nissan Murano extensively and found I don't really care for the CVT..
It just doesn't accelerate like I expect it to..
__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4
That is because although the Nissan Murano has a lot of HP it develops the HP and torque at higher RPM's, typical of Japanese engines, than do most American engines.. Torque at high RPM is fine for a manual tranny but toque needs to come on a lower RPM with any automatic tranny to be most useful. Torque is what get one going and keep one going on grades. If you want to get the most from your Murano you need to keep the petal to the metal till you get the RPM's up to get you to the speed you want quickly.
mike hunt
"Barry S." wrote:

"Barry S." wrote:

I hae a Saturn Vue with a four cylinder and the CVT. Driving it is different and takes some getting used to. However, after an adjustment period, I like it. If you floor the car, the engine speed immeadiately jumps up to around 6000 rpm, and then the vehicle speeds starts increasing to match it. It seems "wrong" but it accelerates briskly. According to road test I have seen, the variable speed transmission provides slightly better acceleration than the 5 speed manual in the same vehicle.
Regards,
Ed White
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:53:11 -0400, "C. E. White"

Ed,
I think it really comes down to preference. I just like the response of manual/automatic transmissions. I feel like I know with x pedal effort I will get y response.. Its consistent. I just don't get that with the Murano.
The Murano accelerates ok in Ds mode, where it keeps RPMs higher, but still doesn't provide the "feel" I'm accustomed too.
Hopefully manufacturers will continue to make regular 4,5,6 speed trannys for the forseeable future for people like me..
__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4
The 500 and Montego will offer a six speed automatic with FWD models if one likes FWD.
mike hunt
"Barry S." wrote:

<snip>

Is the new Ford Mondeo based on the same chasis as the Ford 500? Or is it still based on the Contour chasis? The pictures of the 500 and the Mondeo look quite similar.
Jeff
Body styling has nothing to do with the chassis. The first Chrysler minivans used the 'K' car chassis. The Lincoln LS, T-Bird and a Jag are all built on the same chassis as is the 2005 Mustang. None looks anything like the other.
mike hunt
Jeff wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

I don't know why this idea that the 2005 Mustang chassis is the same as the Lincoln LS keeps showing up. The facts are -
The front suspension is completely different The rear suspension is completely different (radically so, Mustang is a solid axle, Lincoln LS is IRS) The engine and transmission choices are completely different The tracks and wheelbases are different The floor pans are completely different
But, both chassis are both made from steel - so I guess they are the same.
Ed
Perhaps it might be simply that you don't know what a chassis is? The Jag, LS and T-bird all have different steel bodies and wheelbases. Have you ever actually looked inside of an LS and a T-bird? The Cobra had the same chassis and body as the GT but different engine and rear suspensions. Some mustangs had 4, 6 and 8 cy engines and solid axles yet the Mark VII had an all aluminum 300 HP V8 and air suspension as well as an independent rear suspension, all of them built on the same chassis yet different bodies
mike hunt
"C. E. White" wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

I listed all the things that are different between the new Mustang and the Lincoln LS (almost everything). Maybe you'd care to list what is the same? Neither vehicle has a separate chassis in the way that most trucks do. The "chassis" is a unit body type. Since the wheel base and track are different, the suspensions are completely different, and the basic floor plans aren't the same - exactly what makes the chassis the same? The Jag, T-Bird ,and LS share basic suspension layouts and engine compartments. The new Mustang shares none of this. It doesn't even share the same suspension pick-up locations. The old (current?) Mustang and Cobra share floor pans, front suspension and rear suspension attachment points. It is true that the Cobra has a completely different rear suspension (IRS) but it was specifically designed to mount to the same points as the standard Mustangs live axle. You can literally take the rear suspension from a Cobra and bolt it into a regular Mustang. You will not be able to do the same for any of the Lincoln LS basic components and the new Mustang.
I can only assume you are basing this whole argument on the early press articles that said the new Mustang would be based on the DEW platform. This never happened. I am sure Ford used a lot of the same development techniques and construction techniques and maybe even "morphed" parts of the DEW platform to create the new Mustang, but the cars don't share any major structural or suspension components. It is simply wrong to try to claim the Mustang is a version of the DEW platform. If you want to say it was "developed from" or "distantly related to", then I cannot argue with you. But saying "The Lincoln LS, T-Bird and a Jag are all built on the same chassis as is the 2005 Mustang" is just an incredibly imprecise statement.
Regards,
Ed WHite
I'm not going to continue to debate this subject since there is nothing to debate, you are certainly entitled to believe whatever you wish. The fact remains even though many things are different one to the other, the 2005 Mustang, the Lincoln LS, T-Bird and the Jag are ALL built on the same basic Ford chassis with the same hard points, whether you understand how that is possible or not. Ford and every other manufacture use common chassis' on many different types of vehicles, as I have already listed. The new 500, the new Montego use a new chassis developed by Ford and first used on the Volvo S40, as well. It is much less expensive to modify, even radically, an existing chassis than designing and federally certifying a new chassis. When Ford built the all new Edsel they used a Ford chassis on the lesser models and a Mercury chassis on the larger models, rather than design a new chassis and it still costs a kings ransom to bring the car on line. That was before federal crash standards when developing a chassis was much less expensive than it is today. GM shares chassis' among many of it models sold in Europe and the US. Practically everything Honda and Acura sells in the US is made on one of only two basic chassis'.
mike hunt
"C. E. White" wrote:

hate to say it again but Mike is right again. The 05 mustang is on the Lincoln LS platform.
Brad
You were right about the 12/12 free scheduled maintenance as well. My dealer is providing the second two years.
mike hunt
Brad Coon wrote:

     2005 Mustang Lincoln LS Wheelbase 107.1 in 114.5 Track, front 62.6 60.6 Track, rear 62.8 60.8 Length     187.6 193.9 Width 72.1 73.2 Height 54.5 56.1
Suspension
2005 Mustang Front ind, strut located by a control arm, coil springs, anti-roll bar Rear rigid axle located by 3 trailing links and a Panhard rod, coil springs, anti-roll bar
Lincoln LS Front ind, unequal-length control arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar Rear ind, unequal-length control arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar
STEERING
2005 Mustang Type rack-and-pinion with hydraulic power assist
Lincoln LS Type - Speed-sensitive variable power-assisted rack-and-pinion
BRAKES
2005 Mustang Type hydraulic with vacuum power assist and anti-lock control Front 12.4 in vented disc (GT) Rear 11.8 in vented disc
Lincoln LS Front 11.8 in vented disc Rear 11.3 in vented disc
http://www.seriouswheels.com/2005-Ford-Mustang-Chassis-1600x1200.htm
Take a close look at the picture of the bare "chassis" and then go look at your Lincoln LS - The engine compartment and front suspension mounting locations aren't even remotely the same. Your statement about using the "same hard points" is simply false. I have no idea where you are getting this misinformation.
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id 110 (be sure to notice the "new from the ground up" quote in this Ford article) -
"A Chassis Born to Run
"The purpose-built, muscle-car chassis is , with a state-of-the-art front suspension and precise, three-link rear axle with Panhard rod. Combined with direct, accurate steering and powerful disc brakes, Mustang now has what it takes to catapult the American muscle-car driving experience to the next level."
http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/05fordmustang.html (these quotes are based on Ford press releases)
"The starting point is an all-new, purpose-built, muscle-car platform with exceptional body stiffness and a very high strength-to-weight ratio. With this ultra-rigid structure, Mustang engineers could tune spring, damping and bushing rates to a finer degree than ever possible."
"Mustang engineers settled on using a coil-over MacPherson strut front suspension with reverse "L" lower control arms made of lightweight I-section steel. MacPherson struts originally developed in the 1940s by Earl S. MacPherson, a Ford engineer are widely renowned for their ability to deliver both comfort and control with reduced weight."
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id 412 (notice again - "all-new")
"Based on an all-new, fully modern body structure and chassis system featuring advanced MacPherson struts and a three-link live axle with Panhard rod, Mustang boasts an overall ride sophistication unmatched by any of its ancestors. Its braking and handling are nothing short of world class."
Regards,
Ed White
You sure go to a lot of trouble to convince yourself you are right. You must have a lot of free time or you log in on your bosses time. Like I said you are free to believe what you wish and I'm not going to debate the un debatable, I would just ask you a few questions. Why did you not publish the comparison between those two and the T-Bird and Jag? Would you not find similar differences? Surely you are not going to suggest they use a different platform? Where the Contour and Mystique not built an 'all new' platforms as well? Did they not use the same platform as the European Mondeo? Did the Probe and Mazda not use the same platform, yet appear to be completely different vehicles? Did the FWD Continental not have Speed sensitive variable power assisted rack-and-pinion steering and use a Taurus platform that did not? Does the LS not have different engine mounts for the V8 and the V6?
'Mustang engineers settled on using a coil-over MacPherson strut front suspension with reverse "L" lower control arms made of lightweight I-section steel,' don't you agree that simply means we use a much less expensive set up on this 20K vehicle than the expensive cast aluminum setup we use on our 35K vehicle?
The last paragraph says it all. Did it not occur to you that ALL NEW simply means all new to Mustang, not to FMC?
mike hunt
"C. E. White" wrote:

Geez, Could you post one shred of evidnece that the 2005 Mustang is based on the LS. Just saying it over and over doesn't make it true.
As for the Jag and Thunderbird - They use the same basic suspension as the LS (although the T-bird chassis is shortened), the Mustang doesn't. They use the same engine family as the LS, the Mustang doesn't. In fact, the 4.6L Mod engine won't fit in any of the LS paltform cars.
Here are the raw numbers:
2005 Mustang Lincoln LS Jag S Type T-Bird Wheelbase 107.1 in 114.5 114.5 107.2 Track, front 62.6 60.6 60.4 60.5 Track, rear 62.8 60.8 60.7 60.2 Length 187.6 193.9 192.0 186.3 Width 72.1 73.2 71.6 72.0 Height 54.5 56.1 56.0 52.1
Ed

From: DustyRhoades

Charles