Solution to gas prices: Nationalization

Page 5 of 5
George Orwell wrote:

ROTFL.
The only thing we would get with nationalized oil is higher prices and incompetent people in office.
No one has shown that the profits that the oil companies are making are in any way inappropriate.
Jeff
On 05/23/07 04:04 pm Jeff wrote:

You mean that the same incompetents who are now running the country would then be running industry too? Maybe that isn't such a good thing after all.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

How far from running the oil business is the Bush gang?
On 05/23/07 05:36 pm F.H. wrote:

Are you sure it isn't the other way round?
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

6 to one.... half dozen to...... Whatever the truth is, there is no concern for the consumer just yet. What will it take I wonder. Has some influential think tank of close advisor's decided that like a Pearl Harbor incident would be good us, another crash like 29 would be good?
Probably not, why bother when screwing the citizens is going so well?
Jeff wrote:

Great line for the Daily Show.

"Who ya gonna believe..., me..., or your lying eyes." Richard Pryor

I won't comment on their profits. But, every so often, a spokesman for one oil company or another will be quoted on the news, explaining the reasons for the most recent round of price hikes, and some of the reasons are insulting to listen to. That's the problem for me.
I think the president could help by getting his comedy writers together and coming up with a speech which explains why it's good for "the economy" when gas prices continue to climb.
get real and go away and don't buy gas in a citgo gas station
George Orwell wrote:

DUH! Who runs the Social Security system? Is that what you want to see happen the oil industry? LOL
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

Through the "golden years of the American middle class" - the 1940s through 1982 - the top income tax rate for the hyper-rich had been between 90 and 70 percent. Ronald Reagan wanted to cut that rate dramatically, to help out his political patrons. He did this with a massive tax cut in the summer of 1981.
The only problem was that when Reagan took his meat axe to our tax code, he produced mind-boggling budget deficits. Voodoo economics didn't work out as planned, and even after borrowing so much money that this year we'll pay over $100 billion just in interest on the money Reagan borrowed to make the economy look good in the 1980s, Reagan couldn't come up with the revenues he needed to run the government.
No problem, rob social security:
http://tinyurl.com/y9ewy7

Nothing. Off you go then.

That works when most of your oil is sold to others (USA) at a high enough price to cover the give away. Someone said Chavez inherited his oil industry, no he stole it off the backs of international oil companies who built it. In his defense he is using some of the excess oil profits to help his people and those of friendly neighbors, but he is doing nothing for the industry and productivity of his country.
He's just a dictator having a verbal battle with dictator Bush.
There's cheap gas in Iraq too. GO GET IT!

Comrade Chavez just pulled the plug on the privately owned TV station in his country.
Are you sure you want to use him as a role model?
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Good point. The only model worth emulating is the one who is on the best of terms with the owners of "privately owned" media. That way you can make sure only that which you approve of gets on the airways and promote market forces at the same time. Large campaign contributions help round out the proper example.
And when you decide to invade a country you can put reporters for the free press with the military (for their protection <wink>)and of course, your pals in the world of corporate media will help drum up support for your adventure.
When you help set up TV and radio in the countries you conquer you can tap the vast resources in the free market to help you efficiently educate the native population on the many wonderful economic oportunities you have brought from afar. ;)

Damn, and I thought I was cynical.
Richard