Spare key

Just aquired used Ford escort Si estate (R Reg). It came with only one key. How easy is it to get another as a spare incase I lose this one and where from? I imagine that I could go to the main dealer but my experience tells me that i would probably have to re-morgage the house to afford it! Any help is appreciated. Borosteve

Reply to
borosteve

You can get standard keys cut anywhere, or punched from the key code on the cylinder if they have the special hand-punching jig, usually the dealer or a locksmith.

It's when the keys have the special anti-theft transponders (passive resistors or active radio type) in them, or the fancy blanks with slots milled in the side (some Lexus) that the real expensive starts. That is usually reserved for the expensive cars, not an Escort.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

What sort of key is it ? If it has the red dot on it you may be in for some expense with only the one.

Reply to
RustY©

The key looks pretty simple.Round shaft and plastic grip with a little led light fitted so you can see the lock in the dark.There is no colour on it like red or blue its just black. Regards, Borosteve.

Reply to
borosteve

If it is a PAT key you have no chose but to go to a dealership, with proof that you are the registered owner, to obtain a second key. I would suggest a third key, as well, in case you ever need to replace a key again.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually, some locksmiths have these keys on the shelf. I needed an extra PAT key for my son when we gave him a car. I figured (correctly, as it turns out) that he would eventually lock the key in the car. The dealership wanted $50 for it, but I found one on ebay for $20 (and bought it). When I took it to the locksmith, they told me that they have them in stock $25. The keys that I got on ebay worked out just fine - I would have just bought them from the locksmith, had I known. I did need to get a reading on the resistor with a multimeter to make sure that I bought the right key, I think there were 11 different ones made.

Hope this helps.

CJ

Reply to
Chip

06/07/07

Sorry everyone..actually now that I've clean the key it DOES have a little red blob at the top. I'm told that the only way to geta copy that will work is to give it to a Ford dealer.If anyone thinks otherwise,let me know! Regards, Borosteve

Reply to
borosteve

No mater how one acquires a PAT key, without a second key you need to take the key to a dealership, with proof of ownership, to have it coded. That is to prevent somebody that obtains your VIN from having it coded. Unless one has two keys one can not manually code the key to the car, as instructed in the owners manual.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Go back to the guy who sold the car to you, and tell him you want the extra key! If you have to buy one, you have to go to a dealer, or a key shop authorized by Ford. YES, they are expensive, but Chrysler is also expensive ($340 for a key and remote for my 06 PT Cruiser). It's a trend spilling over from Europe. There are a LOT of stolen cars over there, and tricks like etching serial numbers into every glass window on the car, so that if someone comes in with a Mercedes and wants all new glass, they probably stole it and are visted by the local cops.

Reply to
Doc