speed control on ford windstar Help!

I'm looking for help on a speed (cruise) control on a 2000 ford windstar. It won't set. How do I trouble shot it? I don't think it has a light when the cruise is on. Is the some thing I can do to see what should be done first?

Reply to
JeffJerzak

Yes, take it to you local Ford dealer, they have the tools to locate the fault fairly easily.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If there werent airbags involved, you would have had multiple 'how-to' responses.

There are airbags involved, so dont mess with it.

  1. it's dangerous in one way or another.. may go off when you dont want, or NOT when you do want

  1. cheaper to pay to fix CC than Airbag system

Other than to make sure all the vacuum lines, and cable from the servo to throttle are intact.

"Mike Hunter" wrote:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

ALLDATADIY.com has a lengthy procedure to debug cruise control problems. My 1999 Windstar cruise control went out last week with similar symptoms as yours. The mechanic replaced a $10 Brake Pressure Switch on the back of the master cylinder. Apparently this switch will cut-off the CC when you apply the brake. There is another switch called the brake switch that disengages the CC when you press the brake pedal. My understanding is that the Brake Switch is primary and the Brake Pressure Switch is there in case the Brake Switch fails.

I think the horn and cruise control share a fuse, so the first thing I would do is verify that your horn works. If it works then check both Brake switches.

I chose to take it to a mechanic that knows how to diagnose cruise control problems.

Reply to
weekend_wrencher

Check if the switch on the master cylinder is leaking, they go bad alot

Reply to
JohanB