Speed Limiter - Cruse Control

I have heard that some cars have cruse control that you can set so it won't allow you to go over the speed limit. For example you can set it at 30 mph and the car will stop you from going over that speed in city driving.

Does anyone know what cars this is avaible on?

Reply to
James

It was certainly a feature on the Peugeot 407 I borrowed for a couple of weeks over the summer.

Reply to
topcat11uk

Mercedes (all of them?).

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

Was it good? Give us a little review on how well it worked.

Reply to
James

Had something like this on a 89 Cougar. You could set it and it would buzz if you went over. Never used it.....

Skyhawk

Reply to
Skyhawk

Every car with cruise. However, they all allow you to go faster if you press the accelerator. But will come back to the preset speed when you release it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was on some Renault (Megane?) I had the other day. Choice of cruise control

- which almost does the same thing - and a limiter, which allows you to drive about normally but not above the set speed.

Be warned, though, cruise control on my other car does not alter the speed you set, but when going downhill, it only gives engine braking. So you can set 30 mph as a cruise speed, and the fancy computer will only be able to keep to this speed if, in the gear you have selected, engine braking can keep it.

Reply to
Questions

Except when going down hill ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mercedes "SpeedTronic" option, Renault Laguna. They're the ones that spring to mind

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Those that talk to the auto gearbox will change down if they detect runaway - my Volvo (manual) couldn't hold 40 over a local (camera infested) flyover in 5th, the A class changes down to 3rd just over the crest.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

heck, even my mothers old '90 delta88 would apply the brake to maintain speed... amazes me it's not standard by now..

Reply to
Dark1

My 91 olds Custom Cruiser doesn't have this feature. For those of you in the UK, this is an "estate" that's about 19 feet long, weighs 4,400 pounds, three rows of seats. Great car.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

Just as a note, there are times when cruise should generally not be used for safety and/or economy reasons. City driving is one, rolling hills and mountains, ice and snow or heavy rain.... Much depends on the vehicle's system. Newer systems are much more forgiving...

Please be careful out there... the life you save may be MINE: 0 ) Spike

1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2, Vintage Burgundy w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok; Vintage 40 16" rims w/225/50ZR16 KDWS BF Goodrich gForce Radial T/As, Cobra drop; surround sound audio-video... See my ride at.... Feb 2004- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpgFeb 2004- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpgJul 2005- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpgJul 2005- http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/Engine_rebuild_006.jpg
Reply to
Spike

Citroen C4, some models.

Reply to
JPG

Did you like this feature? Perhaps I am missing something, but the idea sounds dangerous to me. When passing a truck on a narrow road, the last thing I need is not being able to accelerate and complete the maneuver as quickly as I can.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

I find that hard to believe.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Megane 225 has it.

Reply to

You could always back off and pull back in...

Reply to

OK... I am offiicially confused... are you talking about a "speed governor"? If you set the cruise control on any vehicles I have driven, it wont prevent you from exceeding the speed limit. It WILL maintain the speed at roughly what you selected... whether it is above the posted limit or not...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Sounds like they are talking about a two-way cruise control, which you cannot overcome by pushing the throttle. I think that it's a terrible idea, but would be a piece of cake to provide on a fly-by-wire throttle system. But then with the sort of speeds that are common in Europe, possibly it's a good thing. I remember crusing along at 150 kmh (about 95 mph) in a little Fiat on an Italian freeway, just to keep with the traffic flow, and shaking with fear. The posted speed limit was 100 kmh...

Reply to
Happy Traveler