Speed Limiter - Cruse Control

Page 1 of 4
I have heard that some cars have cruse control that you can set so it won't allow you to go over the speed limit. For example you can set it at 30 mph and the car will stop you from going
over that speed in city driving.
Does anyone know what cars this is avaible on?
It was certainly a feature on the Peugeot 407 I borrowed for a couple of weeks over the summer.

Was it good? Give us a little review on how well it worked.
says...

I've used it on lorries alot. Very handy. Removes the need to look at the speedo.
--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen

Does it affect the speedo if you go downhill?
--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

If I set the retarder, no. But otherwise, it doesn't apply the brakes.
--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
James

Aye, but not the thought behind selecting speed of course.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Mike Hunter wrote:

Isn't that always the case? Personally I stick with GM vehicles. SO far I haven't saw a GM with the feature you are looking for. Maybe on one of the new concept cars, but you have to be living in Detroit and a high executive to test one of those out...
James

Or GM are so far behind the curve...
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

The only thing that I recall resembling this was on a GM car. A Buick Electra 225(?) in the early sixties, had a little knob and needle on the speedometer. You set it to some speed, and it made electrical contact with the speedometer needle and set off a little buzzer. You could set it wherever you wanted, and ignore it if you wanted, but it made a good speed reminder. I don't recall if it got quiet again if the speed was high enough to come past the other side of the needle.
--
---
GM is no doubt pleased with your purchase of an USED 88 Tempest Richard. If you wish to move to Detroit and be hired by GM, perhaps they would let you look at a concept car. But do not touch.

Ho-hum.
--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What thought? You don't need to think. It's on a stick at the side of the road.
James wrote:

While I used the cruise control, I didn't really have the need or desire to try out the speed limiter function. It looked pretty straightforward with a digital display to let you know what speed you've set it at.
Did you like this feature? Perhaps I am missing something, but the idea sounds dangerous to me. When passing a truck on a narrow road, the last thing I need is not being able to accelerate and complete the maneuver as quickly as I can.

Happy Traveler wrote:

You could always back off and pull back in...
--
www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
Spotter for the PWR truck #9

If you need to exceed the speed limit you should not be overtaking.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Me does not agree, if you have a slow vehicle ahead and a straight which permits you getting past, merely speeding temporarily should not be "dangerous", it should be clearly safer for everyone that speeding to reduce the passing time happen.
I'd hate to be overtaking someone doing 40 and, by slowing down to be "safe" at only 60, I had to also smack headlong into someone coming the other way at 60, where when I went past at 90 I was able to pull back half a kilometer short of the oncoming car.

reduce
"safe" at

60,
short of

Well that just means that at 40 mph you have to put your foot down a little bit harder to let the computer know you want to go faster than the setting of the speed limiter.