Speed Limiter - Cruse Control

Page 3 of 4

Except the vast majority that is.
--
Rich P
Replace .invalid with .com to reply.

Surely the whole idea of a cruise control is to set the maximum speed? Sure you can over-ride it, but then this also applies to any speed limiter fitted to cars.
--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You can't set it to 40 or whatever round town then drive 'normally' in traffic and rely on it to stop you exceeding the limit.
You'll be doing 40 all the time - could get exciting!
A limiter will stop you doiing over the limit even if you press your foot down (to a point).
Cruise keeps you at a set speed regardless of required throttle changes. Two totally different things but closely related in their sensing/control functions.
If one would be better served by reading their owners manual to discover how CC actually works, rather than listing to all the disinformation that is being posted on the subject in this NG.
mike hunt

Apparently on date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:30:09 +0000 (UTC), "James"

It was on some Renault (Megane?) I had the other day. Choice of cruise control - which almost does the same thing - and a limiter, which allows you to drive about normally but not above the set speed.
Be warned, though, cruise control on my other car does not alter the speed you set, but when going downhill, it only gives engine braking. So you can set 30 mph as a cruise speed, and the fancy computer will only be able to keep to this speed if, in the gear you have selected, engine braking can keep it.

Those that talk to the auto gearbox will change down if they detect runaway - my Volvo (manual) couldn't hold 40 over a local (camera infested) flyover in 5th, the A class changes down to 3rd just over the crest.
Apparently on date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:28:05 +0100, "Tim S Kemp"

Yeah, I can see how an auto might well behave differently. Not used autos a lot.
I have to be honest, I can't see a lot of point in a speed limiter except for the slightly handy use for being able to vary motorway speeds up and down for circumstances, but not exceed a true 90 mph or 94 on the clock or whatever.
Sorry, I mean "exactly 70 mph" don't I? ;)
Either way, cruise seems to do that fairly well, set it to the desired speed and simply disengage, resume, or overspeed and return to, as you feel the need.
I was doing something that was exactly ideal for a speed limiter, that is, zipping about town where the speed limit was nearly always 30 and there were cameras dotted about, it would have been ideal for that and I did experiment with it, but found it just got me hassled by white vans (actually, not white vans but you know what I mean). It didn't actually help for the cameras because I found I had to slow down anyway because most people go through them at about 23 mph, rather than 30, so the only time it might have made a difference, it was irrelevant.
The thing that took the most getting used to, the bizarre handbrake in the dash.
First off, no handbook on the hire car, so figuring out how to set and release it was fun. Then, trying to release it on a hill was major league awkward, meant rolling backwards, or stalling the engine and *then* rolling backwards.
You need three feet, one to engage the clutch, one to hold the car on the brake having released the handbrake which decides when it does it, and one on the throttle. Auto, sure, it would have been a picnic, footbrake, throttle, release handbrake and then footbrake.
Eventually got the hang of it, riding the clutch and it would release the handbrake automatically, but you had to be smooth with the clutch or stall, try and roar off from the lights and you stall, etc. Accelerate like a granny until in gear, and just about ok. Nasty business. I think this is one of those features that some like, and some hate.
James wrote:

Mercedes "SpeedTronic" option, Renault Laguna. They're the ones that spring to mind
--
All of my hate cannot be FOUND
I will not be drowned by your thoughtless scheming

Just as a note, there are times when cruise should generally not be used for safety and/or economy reasons. City driving is one, rolling hills and mountains, ice and snow or heavy rain.... Much depends on the vehicle's system. Newer systems are much more forgiving...
Please be careful out there... the life you save may be MINE: 0 ) Spike 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2, Vintage Burgundy w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok; Vintage 40 16" rims w/225/50ZR16 KDWS BF Goodrich gForce Radial T/As, Cobra drop; surround sound audio-video... See my ride at.... Feb 2004-
http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpg
Feb 2004-
http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpg
Jul 2005-
http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpg
Jul 2005-
http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/Engine_rebuild_006.jpg
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:30:09 +0000 (UTC), "James"

Citroen C4, some models.
James wrote:

Megane 225 has it.
--
www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
Spotter for the PWR truck #9

won't
Sounds like they are talking about a two-way cruise control, which you cannot overcome by pushing the throttle. I think that it's a terrible idea, but would be a piece of cake to provide on a fly-by-wire throttle system. But then with the sort of speeds that are common in Europe, possibly it's a good thing. I remember crusing along at 150 kmh (about 95 mph) in a little Fiat on an Italian freeway, just to keep with the traffic flow, and shaking with fear. The posted speed limit was 100 kmh...

governor"?
Extremely easy to accomplish with "fly by wire"... I can't speak for anyone else but, whether the cruise is et or not, if I feel the need to stab either the throttle or the brake, I expect a response.... hell, I might "need" a response....
Though the thought wasn't expressed by the inital poster, if I need something to keep my from going too fast, self-restraint is probably the best method.
There is an add on module we see on fleet units that plugs into the OBD2 DLC... it records driving data and sounds audible alarms for various "infractions" including driving betond preset limits. While it can't tell the local posted speed, it may help in highway situations.

No. Completely different beast. You use the accelerator as normal but you set the maximum speed and no matter how hard you plant the accelerator, it won't exceed it.
--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Conor wrote:

Some of em (apparently) will limit the speed under 'normal' throttle conditions, but you can override it by mashing the throttle.
--
www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
Spotter for the PWR truck #9
??? Abo ??? wrote:

    [...]
BMW system is like that - buzzes then limits but is cancelled by kickdown.
I know someone who swears by it but it just bugged me.
Jim Warman says...

governor"?
prevent
roughly
You can override it on all cars, when you want a burst of speed, in most cases full throttle and /or pedal in the kickdown position will do it.
Tim..

Some cars, mostly French ones it would appear, also have a speed governor function built into the cruise control.
It prevents acceleration over a preset speed unless you press the accelerator hard, where it'll override until you back off again.
I don't believe any of these will physically prevent you from accelerating beyond the chosen speed but as was mentioned cars with an electronic automatic gearbox may be linked such that the ratio is dropped to prevent the speed breaching the set limit when rolling downhill. However this seems to be anecdotal and might simply be a matter of the auto box shifting at that point anyway.
Fundamentally they are not there to enforce any rules per se nor will actually stop the driver from breaking the limit. It is just a way that the driver can avoid accidentally accelerating over the limit. The driver always chooses the limit, and for safety's sake the system doesn't stop the car breaching the limit if the driver presses the accelerator hard.
Some cars (my old Alfa 147 for instance) have a buzzer that you can set to tell you if you go over a certain speed. This is almost useless.
--
Rich P
Replace .invalid with .com to reply.

Stacks, but not all.
We don't have that option on our aftermarket cruise control. I don't think it was an option but I wouldn't have ticked it anyway, because you are able to over-ride them at full throttle. I reasoned that if I was using full acceleration I would be well aware of the speed, if I wanted to avoid exceeding a certain speed I'd be using cruise. The final option, say preventing one from exceeding 30 or 40 in urban areas, I figured would be too "fussy" to use.
As it happens I have presets, much easier. One is set for one set of road works, one for the next and the final preset is my general cruising one.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com