Speed Limiter - Cruse Control

( snipped-for-privacy@forgotten.what.this.was.now) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What's the "consequences" of not overtaking?

Reply to
Adrian

Tony Wesley ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, no, no, that's not a "car". That's a house.

Reply to
Adrian

You can override it on all cars, when you want a burst of speed, in most cases full throttle and /or pedal in the kickdown position will do it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Isn't that always the case? Personally I stick with GM vehicles. SO far I haven't saw a GM with the feature you are looking for. Maybe on one of the new concept cars, but you have to be living in Detroit and a high executive to test one of those out...

Reply to
Richard Seguin

Or GM are so far behind the curve...

Reply to
DervMan

The only thing that I recall resembling this was on a GM car. A Buick Electra 225(?) in the early sixties, had a little knob and needle on the speedometer. You set it to some speed, and it made electrical contact with the speedometer needle and set off a little buzzer. You could set it wherever you wanted, and ignore it if you wanted, but it made a good speed reminder. I don't recall if it got quiet again if the speed was high enough to come past the other side of the needle.

Reply to
dold

On current Chrysler vehicles (since at least 1997) the auto tranny will downshift to a lower gear if speed increases 2-3MPH above the setpoint of the Cruise Control. RPM's jump way up when in a downhill "run-away" situation. That tends to keep downhill speed in check fairly well.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I wonder why GM didn't use a lower gear to "hold-back" speed on down hills like Chrysler does.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Who made your work truck?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

While I used the cruise control, I didn't really have the need or desire to try out the speed limiter function. It looked pretty straightforward with a digital display to let you know what speed you've set it at.

Reply to
topcat11uk

The CC on my 69 caddy convertible was like that. If you tried to go past the set speed it pushed back at you with progressively more force the faster you tried to go. It didn't stop you from going over your set speed but you knew when you were doing it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It is a Ford E-350 Van. V-10 with a 4 speed overdrive automatic.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

"Happy Traveler" wrote in news:h4- dnZDRlebt88TenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

If you accelerate hard it'll override it.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Except the vast majority that is.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:eYf6f.39305$Io.1820@clgrps13:

Some cars, mostly French ones it would appear, also have a speed governor function built into the cruise control.

It prevents acceleration over a preset speed unless you press the accelerator hard, where it'll override until you back off again.

I don't believe any of these will physically prevent you from accelerating beyond the chosen speed but as was mentioned cars with an electronic automatic gearbox may be linked such that the ratio is dropped to prevent the speed breaching the set limit when rolling downhill. However this seems to be anecdotal and might simply be a matter of the auto box shifting at that point anyway.

Fundamentally they are not there to enforce any rules per se nor will actually stop the driver from breaking the limit. It is just a way that the driver can avoid accidentally accelerating over the limit. The driver always chooses the limit, and for safety's sake the system doesn't stop the car breaching the limit if the driver presses the accelerator hard.

Some cars (my old Alfa 147 for instance) have a buzzer that you can set to tell you if you go over a certain speed. This is almost useless.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

Surely the whole idea of a cruise control is to set the maximum speed? Sure you can over-ride it, but then this also applies to any speed limiter fitted to cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pushed back at you with what? The gas pedal? How did it do that? Bob

Reply to
Bob

A heavier duty servo motor than ours has?

Reply to
DervMan

GM is no doubt pleased with your purchase of an USED 88 Tempest Richard. If you wish to move to Detroit and be hired by GM, perhaps they would let you look at a concept car. But do not touch.

Reply to
Al Bundy

You can't set it to 40 or whatever round town then drive 'normally' in traffic and rely on it to stop you exceeding the limit.

You'll be doing 40 all the time - could get exciting!

A limiter will stop you doiing over the limit even if you press your foot down (to a point).

Cruise keeps you at a set speed regardless of required throttle changes. Two totally different things but closely related in their sensing/control functions.

Reply to
PC Paul