Speed reduction

Hi, I was wandering if anyone can help, I drive an R reg Escort and recently when driving on the motorway the speed of the car starts dropping. I cannot accelerate, the car then starts making a very strange sound, at
which point I have to pull over, as I bring the car to a stand still I can feel the engine shake very unusually. I turn the engine off after a few minutes and when trying to accelerate the engine still makes this noise and it feels very hard trying to gain speed. When turning the engine off for around 5 minutes or so it then starts fine, as this is becoming more prominent can any help or advise? Thanks Zack
"Zack2000" wrote

So, this "strange sound"... does it sound like:
1 - stopthecarstopthecarstopthecarstopthecarstopthecar 2 - ohyeahohyeahohyeahohyeahohyeahohyeahohyeah 3 - RrrraaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it's one of those, it's :
1 - Your wheelchair-bound grandmother being dragged under the car. 2 - Your daughter and her new boyfriend "doin' it" in the back seat. 3 - An elephant at a nearby zoo being castrated.
If it's something else, please describe it with words other than "strange".
LMFAO!! Oddly enough, if you repeat those phrases fast enough, they do sound familiar to a car in distress, usually of the Chevrolet nature.
Sharky
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:57:33 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

I Think I heard a combination of: 2) ohyeahohyeahohyeahohyeahohyeahohyeahohyeahyeahyeah! 4) stopitstoobigstopitstoobigstopitstoobigstopitstoobigstopitstoobig!
The other day.
Do you think that's another type of "near combustion" problem?
I'm not so good at diagnosis by sound though.
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:15:53 -0500, "Zack2000"

Carbed engine? Possibly carb ice. Otherwize, is it overheating??? could be detonation noise.
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Could be!
I had an 82 Escort that did the same thing, right around 32 F and wet road or fog.
Slowly, then quickly, lose power. get to where I had to stop. Leave it off 5 minutes, start up and go on.
Never could find anything else wrong, and it only happened under those conditions.
you pay..DEAL with it!