Speed sensor/ aux powertrain control mod./transmission problems

I have recently had my transmission replaced on my 98 ford taurus (3.0 12v) and after getting my car back the speed sensor went out, it has been replaced since but the speedometer is still malfunctioning. i had a diagnostic test ran and it came back with a P1502 Autozone told me this was an intermittent speed sensor malfunction, however, my chiltons manuel indicates thiis code as my "auxiliary power train control moduel functioning" I have replaced the wires leading to the speed sensor from the wiring harness down to the sensor, which were melted and fused together, but the speedometer is still not working- only when the car gets hot. I dont know whether autozone or chiltons is right about the code or what the "auxiliary power train control moduel functioning" has to do with anything. I just need to get my speedometer working before it tears up my transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mark

Reply to
Jones299

why not take it back to the trans shop? most have at least a 12mo/12K mile warrantee. a google search turned up p1502 is an intermittant speedo. why were the wires melted anyway?

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Well I have already taken it back to the trans shop before because of the speed sensor messing up the transmission it had to be completely re-replaced. the transmission is good and that is the extent of the warranty the shop is not responsable for other malfunctions tearing up the trans. the wires were melted from close contact whith the exhaust manifold and insufficient insulation, i guess. I have since replaced the wires and protected them with a wire conduit, but, i only replaced them from the main part of the wiring harness down past the manifold to the sensor. Also the speedometer only quits when the car gets hot. My manuel says different about the p1502 code so I guess I'll have to call the maker and see whats going on.

mark

Reply to
Jones299

Hmmm.. let's see.

Chilton says one thing, Autozone and Shoe says it has to do with speed data missing. OBDII/Ford codes says "Invalid or Missing Vehicle Speed Message or Brake Data"

-AND- Your speedo is acting up... yep, I wonder if Chilton is right, after all.

Sheeesh!

Lemme give you a hint... Chilton had lotsa BUM info when cars were simple.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

so it has a new speed sensor in it? Are you sure you made a good connection when you replaced the sensor? just FYI, the exhaust comes out for the trans to come out, it is most likely their fault the wires cooked in the first place(not that is does you any good now) I think I would double check your connections where you spliced the wires in at the main harness. soldered connections are best. If the speedo quits the ECM will catch it. I think you can be 99.9% sure that is what the code if for. Being that it quits when the car is hot could point to a bad connection, even a bad connection in the speedo sensor itself. you could put the front end on jack stands and have someone watch the speedo for you wire you wiggle wires. just be carefull of moving objects (like axles and tires) of course.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman