starter engaging with key in "on" position, 1997 f150

when i turn the key to the on position and wait approx. 5 seconds the starter will engage, and will engage again after the engine is running, also i have lights on the dash board blinking telling me that i am in 4x4
low, air bags off. also with the power windows i cannot roll drivers window down but i can roll up if in reverse or drive, but window will work ok in park or neut. after engine starts the starter will not engage if i hurry up and put the truck in reverse or forward, but will engage if i put it in park or neut. i also can hear relays clicking just before the starter engages. just wondering if anybody out there has had or has heard of this and what the fix is?
I had a similar problem. Do you have a remote start?

no remote start