STARTER REPLACEMENT (OR NOT) 95 TOWN CAR

Car has about 188K miles on it. starter looks original. I don't want to get caught on the road and have the starter fail. Is there a way to test it and am I better off just replacing it? Looking at it, how does one get the top of the 3 bolts out? There are so-called OEM and non-OEM starters out there. Can get a non-OEM brand new for $50 from

recently bought such a starter plus rebuilding parts for one for my 99 Continental from them and they work fine. Just looking at the starter on the car, it appears that one should remove the solenoid and then the field case and armature in order to get at the top two bolts........thanks in advance.

Reply to
septicman

Definitely change it out. That is cheap insurance Do it before winter, don't wait or you might be sorry.

Reply to
Mike