starter up date

i am working on an older ford.the motor is an 352,which has been mildly built up.i would like to replace the starter with a newer and stronger one.i am unsure of what year and engine size to look for,ie.360,390 or

427.any information would be greatly appricated. thanks.
Reply to
sporty

For many years a Ford starter, was a Ford starter, was a Ford starter. They were almost all interchangable. I'm assuming yours is the standard issue (single wire, 3 bolts, and the gear pushes out toward the flywheel). There was a 2 bolt mounting variation for some applications. Some ancient 352's had a drive gear that was pulled in to the flywheel, toward the starter. In the late 70s they used a "GM" like starter with a solenoid mounted on the front housing on some cars. In the late 80s there came the small higher torque mini starters in use today. Your 352, and all other FE motors, used the standard starter. They were long gone when the modern starters came to be. You "might" be able to match your starter up to a modern mini starter, I've never tried. Pay close attention to the front housing (snout) depth, bolt pattern, drive gear depth, and the number of teeth on the drive gear (Bendix). You will have to rewire the starter circuit slightly if you get this far. There are aftermarket high torque (gear reduction) starters available. A quick look in the Summit Racing catalog found this one Powermaster PWM-9506 on page 84. $199.88.

Good Luck, Tom Adkins

What kind of car is your 352 in? I'm currently restoring a 1966 7 Litre. (428,

4 speed Galaxie XL).
Reply to
Tom Adkins

tom,thanks for the info. however,i am on a strict budget. its an 64 galaxie

500,andthe cost of parts are high.thats why i would like to just use an differnt starter.and keep my cost down.they can be rebuilt and beefed up,but this is also costly and time consuming.is that the origianl motor in your 66?
Reply to
sporty

Well, There really isn't a "different" starter available for a direct swap. Ford starters were pretty much all the same during the 60s. Why do you want to "upgrade". Are you having starting issues? I quality rebuilt should do everything you need it to do unless the engine is highly modified. BTW. The 64 Galaxie is one of my favorite body styles. I had a red 390 XL some years ago.

Yes, It's original.The 428 is a 7.0 liter engine. Red with black interior. The 7 Litre was a separate model from the Galaxie, Galaxie XL, etc in 66 and an option package in

  1. They didn't sell well because they cost more than an XL with the same specs. (Without the 7 Litre badges). I wouldn't call it a Rare car, just uncommon. Check out this site:
    Not many good pictures but it's the best 7 Litre site I've found. Tom
Reply to
Tom Adkins

Yeah, I guess you're right about that one. I've actually never seen a 4 speed convertible 7 Litre. I've seen some pics though. In the last 20 years I've stumbled upon, and bought 3 hardtops (one auto and

2 4speed, within 15 miles of my home. Maybe I should have said that until recently, although "rare", they weren't highly sought after by collectors. The one I have now is complete and in really good condition with normal wear and tear.(Faded paint, bad carpet, torn headliner, etc). Got it for $1000 and drove it for 6 months before starting the resto. Tom

Speaking of unusual cars. I've got a 1984 Linciln MK VII with a Steyr 2.4L turbodiesel in storage. I almost choked when I opened the hood. I'm going to replace the air springs this spring and drive it for the summer. There's rumor of a 5 Speed option, but try and find even one! :)

Reply to
Tom Adkins

tom,thanks for the help.i found an replacement starter though carquest.its not exactly what iwanted.but i will take a chance that it will work.the reason for a starter change is that im in iowa and the cold weather plays a major part in moving the car around.the starter i found will also fit the 406 and 427,however i have yet to see an 406.iwould like to see more pics of the 7liter when it is done. jack

Reply to
sporty