starting & idle

I have a ford contour1996,2.0,4cyl.I have replaced the ignition coil,& i am having problems with starting it,have to keep my foot on the gas,will not
idle too.is there any thing i can do before taking it to the shop??

idle speed control valve
if you are handy and have a few metric wrenches, you can change it yourself
you pay..DEAL with it!
Re starting & idleing.Thanks Krusty,today i finally changed the IACV on the contour also fuel filter,still having the same problems.there is a flat device directly on the left just below the air filter,it is some switch made of aluminum,has a six pin plug,it has something to do with the ignition??
1996 Ford contour,2.0 4 cyl.I ahve a problem with starting it,it only starts when you gave it gas,also will not idle.I have change the coil,fuel filter,& idle air control valve,yet it continues to not work right,it also shows service engine light.Any suggestions out there Please.

Engine Lite! did it do that before?
Would have helped!
Go to autozone or a parts store that reads out diagnostic codes free... get the code, not their description.
Just for fun, FIRST, though.. after the engine has warmed, turn off and unplug the MAF.. which is in the air tube to manifold and located just near the filter. See if it starts and idles, then.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Hey thanks old buddy ,yes the engine light did this in the past, sometimes stays on,then it will dissappear but returns after weeks ,months etc.I will get back at you,after i try same. Thanks.
hey again,i did what you said after warming up engine & turning off same i unplugged the MAF & started it again ,it struggled to start,it sounded like a big piece of junk,idle almost as if was going to shut off,also rough idle & if it was missing a beat at times.The check engine lite remains on.But it did start & idle.

Then you certainly have more than 1 problem, but start with cleaning the MAF
Remove the security screws with small vise grips.
alcohol and new paint brush clean, rinse repeat works fine, do not bump element
you pay..DEAL with it!
Hey I did clean the Maf still not working right,I took it to auto zone & it read a code p402,they said it's the egr valve however i am getting a hard time disconecting it,I got the two bolts out,but the tube at the base of the egr i cannot get to.any solutions?? thank you

Dunno
havent pulled on for years.
Suggest heating it.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Hey old buddy,First of all I honestly like to thank you for your advice,secondly i did get the egr valve off,i found the pin was stuck & i free it up.it worked fine once it has warm up. Thank again