Starting problem

I have a 97 Ford thunderbird LX with the 4.6 liter in it. Every time I go to start it I have to wait till I hear the fuel pump shut of so the car will
start. If I try to start the car before the fuel pump shuts of it will just crank and crank but not start. I checked the fuel pressure up on the fuel injector rail and as soon as I turn the ignition on the pressure goes right to 41 psi and once the fuel pump shuts of and I start the car it will stay around 38 psi or so. Any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated , Thanks
speedspal24 wrote:

How about a pressure reading while cranking?
Rob
the pressure reading while cranking was the same wether the engine started when I let the pump turn off first or if I tried to start it with the pump still running
speedspal24 wrote:

Hmmm, maybe its something electrical. Voltage drop, injectors not getting current when pump is going full out.
speedspal24 wrote:

Not sure I'm reading you right. Sounds normal unless its taking a long time to get pressure to the injectors. In that case, perhaps it time to change the fuel filter.
I changed the fuel filter but it still takes about 10 to 15 seconds before the fuel pump will shut off and then the car will start
speedspal24 wrote:

If not obstruction of some sort the next guess would be the pump itself. I drive a 97 4.6 and have never heard the fuel pump. Please post the solution when you find it.
Frank
Not even close to the same car...but had similar problem with an '86 Electra 3.8 (one of the first of the FWD Electras)
Always did start...eventually...but if I let the pump run first it started right up. My interim fix action...DO it that way. Pretend it's an old diesel with the 15 second glow plugs.
Much later I replaced the in-tank pump & filter sock due to an unrelated problem. Starting improved greatly.
--Don Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com
"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves...<smack-smack-smack-smack...>"

you might try a fuel pressure regulator , it is located on the fuel rail either beside the shrader valve or on the opposit side of it , the pressure may be fine at the valve but after the reg. it might be fluctuating
If it were my vehicle I would change the fuel filter on my ten year old car. ;)
mike

hello have you tried a new fuel pump