Starting problem with Ford Tempo

I cannot start my 1988 Ford Tempo. Well, I got the engine ruunning after trying the ignition many times, but the engine and muffler vibrate a lot and the exhaust smells very bad and not like normal
exhaust. Last month I had the battery checked but it was fine. What could be the problem?
From your description, something wrong with ignition, fuel system or the engine is just plain old-fashioned worn out or something inside is broken.
In other words, just about anything. I think you should have this towed to a good mechanic.
Jeff

My 89 escort (1.9L engine) was missing and running rough. On damp moorings it is shaking in a rhythmic way because one cylinder wasn't firing. $12 bucks for a set of ignition wires and 15 minutes to plug them in cured that problem.
John

Was that a wire set problem or a spark plug problem?