Starting problem with Ford Tempo

I cannot start my 1988 Ford Tempo. Well, I got the engine ruunning after trying the ignition many times, but the engine and muffler vibrate a lot and the exhaust smells very bad and not like normal exhaust. Last month I had the battery checked but it was fine. What could be the problem?

Reply to
john

From your description, something wrong with ignition, fuel system or the engine is just plain old-fashioned worn out or something inside is broken.

In other words, just about anything. I think you should have this towed to a good mechanic.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Utz

My 89 escort (1.9L engine) was missing and running rough. On damp moorings it is shaking in a rhythmic way because one cylinder wasn't firing. $12 bucks for a set of ignition wires and 15 minutes to plug them in cured that problem.

John

Reply to
jriegle

Was that a wire set problem or a spark plug problem?

Reply to
John