(Steam) Clean Engine?

I know that parts of the engine should be covered when cleaning the engine compartment. Is steam cleaning, or a self-service car wash sprayer the best thing to do? How about the products available, similar
to GUNK? How often should this be done?
Danny, Neighbor and I cleaned my 302 using aerosol cleaner and a spray bottle. Make sure your distributor cap is well covered. Check local laws. Most places aren't too happy with washing motor contaminants at the car wash outfits. Could be a environ. issue. Less is best when rinsing spray off motor. Couple days of petrol. odor in vent system should disappear after burnoff. More cosmetic than anything else in my opinion but makes for a cleaner work environment when doing service and I'm sure your mech. will appreciate that as well