Steering column bearings

I have a 98 f150 automatic on the column and tilt. Has any one ever had to do the bearings. How bad are they to do. I will be will be doing them on my next day off. Looks like the column has to come right out. Ive heard their pretty common. Any tricks or pointers. Are they pressed in?

Any help would be appreciated

Reply to
Brad

drop the column rite out

3 brngs no press needed just a hammer and punch

hurc ast

Reply to
fred

thanks. sounds easy enough we will see

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
Brad

Remove both and do a thorough comparison side by side. It's possible but not really likely. Replacing the bearings is not hard but can be time consuming. Pay close attention as you take it apart and you'll do fime. Now would be a great time to get the factory service information for your truck. The CD copies of the Ford service info are available on Ebay for ~$10. (As opposed to ~$200 for the manuals in print). One of the best investments you'll ever make for your truck.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Reply to
Brad

Hi Brad, The CD you want is the Ford 1998 Truck CD. It will cover ALL Ford trucks for

1998 in almost all configurations. It will also have the EVTM (electrical and vacuum) and driveability and emissions (formerly Ford Volume H) for 1998. Here's one:

If you go to
and look up all of the paper manuals for your truck the price would be ~$200-250. The CDs on Ebay are originals or copies of the same manuals on CD. Ford went to CDs in addition to paper manuals in ~1992 and, I believe, entirely CD(or DVD) in 2003. The ones on Ebay are earlier CDs without updates or typo fixes. For $~10 they are a great deal. Do a search for "1998 Ford Truck CD". You'll come up with a bunch. Spend about an hour with it and you will see the scope of the info on the disc. By the way, Mitchell Manuals are prety much useless for in depth repairs like yours ,along with Chiltons and Motor. They used to be ok for DIYers(1950s-60s) but as vehicles became more complex, they couldn't keep up with the needed knowledge of their intended audience. (I tend to think the audience got smarter and the books didn't).

Tom Adkins

Reply to
Tom Adkins