steering column bearings

Hi,

I have a 97 sable wagon, 107K miles. The tilt steering wheel has developed play or slop. I don't mean vibration or excess play as I drive, but the wheel itself is wobbly as if a bearing or some upper support has failed. The tilt mechanism is tight.

It started as a squeak then turned into grinding, again like a bad bearing. Now after a month and several pops and bangs later it now moves an inch or so in all directions (except fore/aft) and is starting to stick and bind when making a turn.

I assume this is a bearing issue? Would this be a DYI project?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Mike

Reply to
bottomshot

Sounds like a worn U-jount connecting the wheel to the steering control box. Have an assistant wiggle the wheel back & forth while you observe the U-joint movements.

Reply to
Shawn

Upper bearing wear is not uncommon. The bearings are available at the dealer. It can be done DIY but you should have a shop manual handy, the column has to come out and be torn completely apart. It's not a hard job but much easier with the diagrams in the manual.

Reply to
Tom Adkins