steering gear question

I have a 1995 f150 that has play in the steering i am not sure how much is normal at the steering box. Can I adjust it without removing the pitman arm? I know of the locknut/skrew on top but I don't know whats
good and whats not. Also the power steering pump is louder than my bronco II. How much play right to left is normal?