Steering/Tire Problems...

Im wondering if anybody has any idea what I might be in for when I take my car in for fixing... I drive a 1999 Ford Escort SE
The steering has recently become really loose... and when I hit about
50-60 km/h the steering wheel wiggles and the floor of the car kind of pulsates (I hear clicking, sounds like the tires are going over bumps consistently). The weird thing is, the other day it snowed and when driving on the snowy roads it felt like driving normal again, no loose steering and no clicking tire noises... not sure if its a wheel balancing problem or something more serious. Any ideas? Thanks!
_TY_ wrote:

This sounds like (inner) tie rod ends worn, in my experience with Escorts and other vehicles with R&P steering. The snow seems to dampen the "clunk" on inner tie rod ends. It seems to accentuate the "clunk" on outers. Get the front end checked ASAP.

This could be just really bad tires.. Cause you slow down on snow right? That will cause the problem to be less noticable...
Ford Tech
Ford Tech wrote:

Yep, you're absolutely right. I always hope folks don't let their tires get that bad, though. They do, but I can always hope. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt here on the newsgroup. Then I have to look at my own family and wonder if I really should. I would think that good tires on a vehicle was something important. That's not to my Brethren, or sisteren(?) obviously. Both are driving vehicles, and hauling children, in vehicles that have tires that I wouldn't have on a farm vehicle.