steering wheel control on 05 Expy malfuntioning

Several months ago, Helfman Ford "reconditioned" the battery in my 05 Expy. Since then the steering wheel controls have intermittent failures, they sometimes work, they sometimes dont. For instance, pushing the vent fan speed rocker down will cause the temperature control to be set higher, etc. But, the next time I turn on the Expy, the switch works OK.

Does anyone know what is going on here and how to fix it ? It is not going back to Helfman, they have done enough damage to it.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

I am unsure of what anyone might do to a battery that would "recondition" it.... At the same time (and this may come as a surprise), many of us have no idea who or where Helfman Ford might be....

Now... if the worst thing that Helfman did was charge or disconnect the battery, there should be no effect on the redundant steering controls... If there is a part of the story not being told.... well, what can I say?

The redundant steering controls work on a series of stepped resistances that are deciphered by the powertrain control module. This programming is "hard" so disrupting the power supply will not "erase" anything.

So.... Helfman Ford may have left a bad taste in your mouth... but, with the scant information given, we cannot categorically state that they are the cause of your current woes - this may, indeed, be coincidental.

Reply to
Jim Warman

One can only love fat, old fingers and Windows "hot key" combinations....

It would appear that the PCM is seeing resistances (commands) that are out of line with what is desired... I can only suggest that you find another shop... a shop with the required tools and manuals, to address your concern.

Reply to
Jim Warman

battery, there should be no effect on the redundant

what can I say?

Yes, it was a bad servicing. They also blew out one of the hoses to my transmission cooler. I noticed the next morning when I had transmission fluid in the garage floor and the transmission was slipping.

are deciphered by the powertrain control module. This

I suspected that but wanted to confirm it.

scant information given, we cannot categorically

Yes, coincidental . Nothing that can be proven here.

PCM is likely seeing resistances

Ah, so that would account for the intermittant behavior.

This is not a terminal problem, just an annoyance, so I am going to just drive for a year or two more and trade it for something else when it hits 100K. I would love to have a small SUV with a stick and a diesel, maybe one will come available by then.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Why didn't you take the Expy back then?

I am wondering about a bad ground.

Reply to
Jeff

battery, there should be no effect on the redundant

well, what can I say?

that are deciphered by the powertrain control module. This

h the scant information given, we cannot categorically

be coincidental.

t the PCM is likely seeing resistances

Jeep was planning on introducing one, I think. Of course, a lot has changed at Jeep in the last year or so.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Because then we started arguing about the bad brake job. I finally got that fixed at Midas with new brake rotors. Helfman Ford turned my brake rotors and left 1/16" grooves in them. My brake pedal routinely went halfway to the floor before things started stopping.

But the other rocker switches (cruise control, radio volume, radio station jump) all still work ok. The only steering wheel switches that intermittantly malfunction are the vent fan speed rocker and the A/C temperature rocker.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

It was a grand cherokee with an automatic and mercedes v6 diesel. I want an I4 diesel with a stick. Of course, you can get a Wrangler with a 2.8L I4 and a stick anywhere in the world except in the USA where they are made.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire