Steering wheel vibration at idle

2005 mercury sable with standard 3.0 vulcan engine. not the 24 valve version. Steering wheel shakes at idle and can be felt in the seats of car. The problem is the electric cooling fan at the radiator. it can be disconected and the problem goes away. Ford Motor co said that is normal, howerver it is very anoying. I have reserached this and found that the plastic blades viberate while they are running. The fans have been changed two times with the same problem. I know they have had this problem for a lot of years, and will not fix it. they have their specs in service manuals set so this is normal. all of the cars do not do this, but some do. the ones that do can not be fixed with the parts Ford motor co. supplies. i obtained one from a wrecking yard and hocked it up with power out of the car, thats when i saw the plastic fan blades shate very much. they are two of these on the cars. this is the right one causing the problem.

Does any one have any experiance with this or have a solution to it. Ford Motor Co. knows about the problem but will not do anything about it. Because they have set their specks in the manual to say this is normal. I am begining to see why the Toyota's are taking over Ford's number two place in sales. The FSB # from Ford is 05-20-08.

any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
BORIS BELCHOFF

Are you sure its not the extra load on the engine when the fan is on that causes a rough idle? Just a thought.... I wonder if a new fan motor would help? Are you sure the fan is mounted correctly? If its a balance problem I wonder if one could think of a creative way too balance it? Like maybe the plastic clip thing used to balance a ceiling fan...Good luck.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

For my old Escort, Ford issued a technical service bulletin for this kind of problem and said the cure consisted of replacing the rubber mounts for the radiator and engine with redesigned parts. Of course the dealer wanted to charge $500 for this during the first year of ownership.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Reply to
Boris

Reply to
Boris

I didn't have it done, but a newer 1994 or 1995 Escort (same design as mine, not the 1996 revision) that had the newer rubber mounts didn't vibrate nearly as much at idle. There may be more information at

or

larry moe 'n curly