Sticky Accelerator

Hi All
My 1998 Ford Escort has developed a few problems...
When I am pulling away, changing through the gears, when I put my foot on the clutch and off of the accelerator, the engine continues to rev at the
same engine speed as I was doing before and continues to do this for about 5 seconds before the engine idles again and goes back to normal.
I have tried to spray the accelerator cable with WD 40 and the coil etc, but this seemed to help, but only lasts for about 2 days max and then the engine starts to do it again. The accelerator pedal is not getting caught on any carpet etc, just seems like the cable is getting stuck or the coil is sticking (Although I have checked and the spring is very powerful).
I am very tempted to change the accelerator cable, but before I do so, I wandered if anyone else had any idea what it might be.
Thanks for any help.
Karl
your problem is likely caused by a worn throttle body.