strange internal tire wear

I was going through a pile of used tires to find one to temporarily put on the taurus until i can get the rack fixed. I found one tire off a GM product that looked OK from the outside with 60% tread or so.
I dismounted it to remount it on a Ford rim and found a surprise. There was a pile of fine shredded rubber inside the tire. ANd when i looked up to the under side of the tread, you could see the steel belts showing where the rubber flaked off .
What could cause such a tire failure? Never seen this before.
Bob
-

Driven excessively with "low air pressure"

Like 5 psi.
--
Tegger

Bob Urz wrote:

What makes you think the tire failed? Was there an obvious blowout?
Jeff wrote:

I got the tire mounted on a GM wheel and it was holding air. After i dismounted it, i found the considerable pile of fine rubber shavings inside of it and noticed the steel belts showing from the inside.
If you call holding air ok, then it was not failed. But it looked like a disaster waiting to happen to me. I have never seen a pile of shredded rubber on the inside of a tire before. Even if it held air, i probably did not do tire balance any good either.
Bob
-
Bob Urz wrote:

Toss the tire. It is scrap. What you saw is the result of driving a tire with low air pressure. That causes the belts to flex more than they should and the tire heats up. The heat causes the inner liner rubber to break down and flake off. Doesn't take very long either.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Bob Urz wrote:

Running it flat.... There was a reason it was in the pile of junked tires, after all.