Strange Key Problem

One key used to do it all for a 1999 Taurus but now the key will open the trunk and start the car but will not open the doors.
Doors and trunk open from the remote. Remote will also lock the doors
and set alarm. Any hints or information appreciated.
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote:

just to get this straight... your key will not turn the door lock?
Try lock-ease or liquid graphite and check back.
you pay..DEAL with it!
(Eric Toline) wrote:

the same problem was posted here a whole 9 hours ago(which you gave pretty much the same response to), same model even.. a whole 8 threads down..it just never ceases to amaze me.. some people don't do google, that maybe I can understand but... just..there are no words..
(Eric Toline) wrote:

Who peed in your Corn Flakes??
.. bamp
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 09:33:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote:

Check linkage connecting the lock cylinder to the door latch mechanism. Sometimes when people try to use a "slim jim" they accidentally disconnect the linkage instead of gaining entry into the vehicle.
If you give us full information we can give you a more accurate answer. Does the lock cylinder turn with the key?
Re: Strange Key Problem Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, Dec 3, 2005, 7:04pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@virgin.not (joeschmoe) On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 09:33:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote:
One key used to do it all for a 1999 Taurus but now the key will open the trunk and start the car but will not open the doors. Doors and trunk open from the remote. Remote will also lock the doors and set alarm. Any hints or information appreciated. Eric
Check linkage connecting the lock cylinder to the door latch mechanism. Sometimes when people try to use a "slim jim" they accidentally disconnect the linkage instead of gaining entry into the vehicle.
If you give us full information we can give you a more accurate answer. Does the lock cylinder turn with the key?<<<<<<<<<<<
No slim jim ever used and the problem is with both the drivers side door lock and the passenger side door lock with both set of keys. The key goes in but it can't be turned.
Eric
Eric Toline wrote:

This is a common problem on 90s Tauri. Soak the lock cylinders(through the key hole) with penetrant(PB Blaster is best, WD-40 will work sometime) and work the key in and out 10 or 15 times. You may have to do this over a couple of days. If they still don't work, the tumblers in the cylinders are stuck with corrosion and the lock cylinder needs to be replaced. Most DIY folks don't realize that lock cylinders(and door and hood latches) need to be lubed every oil change. Non DIY folks don't know and assume that Jiffy lube will take care of it, which they don't.
"Eric Toline" wrote

It it c-c-c-cold where you live? (frozen locks)
Is the key perfectly straight, or has it been twisted? (tumblers don't line up)
A quick spray of lube into the keyhole fixed the problem. Six years of not using the key to open the doors probably was the cause. Thanks for the efforts.
Eric