strange problem - 97 taurus -3.0

car ran fine when parked it. went to start it and it behaves like it's getting fire to one or two cylinders only. this only lasts about the first four or five revs of the engine, then, it acts like it's flooded.
i can let it sit and come back to it and it does the same thing. when it first tries to start, but doesn't. it like it can't get the job done.
someone told me that it is the brain box over the radiator. well, on a 97, there's nothing over the radiator at all except fuses. it's got 79k on the clock.
which direction do i go from here. it had no miss prior to this and the engine performed like it should. it was all of a sudden - like a module went out, but which one. thanks.
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
I have the same problem. If you figure out what it is let me know. It was probably fairly warm outside when this happened right ? This is what I think the problem is. The hotter it is outside the more pressure there is in the fuel rail after you shut the engine off. I think there is a leaky injector or injectors. After you shut the engine off the injector or injectors leak into the engine flooding it. You may need a really good fuel system flush or a new injector or injectors.

Sounds to me like you have a leaking fuel regulator, pull the vac. hose off and cycle the key a few times. Does any fuel leak out of it? Bob

I think if the fuel regulator was leaking it would be flooded all the time and running rich.

it's
flooded.
79k
the
module
optional
Tim opined in

Not if it's a small leak.
Pretty normal symptoms of same.
And just how much will it cost you to pull the hose off and check it? It's a common problem and very easy to check. And no... unless it's leaking very bad the engine won't always be flooded. The fuel trims will show it if you have a scan tool, but the O2 sensors can keep it running pretty well if it is a small leak. Bob

the
when
on
Yes your right. Thats not the problem on mine. How about you c palmer ?

job
got
and