strange stalling problem

Hi, my car has a Ford 3.8 v6 engine which seems to run fine except for this one problem that just recentyl started. The car starts fine but when you
put it in drive and touch the gas it stalls, or soemtimes it goes a bit but when you stop the cars stalls. After that it doesn't want tot start again for awhile but then it will later. After that it seems to run fine for a few days but then it happens again. I was hoping for some suggestions of what the problem could be. Thanks.
FORDFAMILY101 wrote:

Is this a 1983 Mustang?
Rob
no, its a 1988 lincoln continental.

Oooh... ooh! I came closer to reading his mind than trainfan did!
I guessed a 91 Cougar!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

We were both thimking RWD...
Rob

Just to make it perfectly clear... you are saying that is the ONLY driveability/engine run problem you have?
It's important. Dont leave anything out.
Hesitation, high idle, low idle, shift weirdness, bog on acceleration...sounds, smells, vibrations...everything counts!
Check engine lite EVER come on?
How long have you had the car? KM's on odometer?
ok, the car has 230,000km, we've had it for aobut 8years, there is a light that says check DCL but that has been on for at elast 6 months. There are no wierd smells or sounds. It is really confusing because nothign seems wrong untill it happens to you.
I had a similar problem on my 3.0 Taurus, whatever sensor tells the computer the engine temp had gone bad, it plugs into the intake manifold. Engine would only start when cold, once you hit the gas it would stall, had to wait for the engine to cool to restart, but if you could keep it running there was no noticeable change in performance at cruising speeds. Chiltons had an Ohm chart to test the sensor for the Taurus.

"" wrote: > Hi, my car has a Ford 3.8 v6 engine which seems to run fine > except for this > one problem that just recentyl started. The car starts fine > but when you > put it in drive and touch the gas it stalls, or soemtimes it > goes a bit > but when you stop the cars stalls. After that it doesn't want > tot start > again for awhile but then it will later. After that it seems > to run fine > for a few days but then it happens again. I was hoping for > some > suggestions of what the problem could be. Thanks.
Sounds like the crank position sensor to me . Its not very expensive and if you can get under the car not hard to install.

Amazing!
How many fingers am I holding out behind my back?
you pay..DEAL with it!