Strange Steering Clunk Vibration

I recently purchased a 1999 Crown Vic (PI Package) with 80,000 miles on it. It was formerly owned by the government, so I didn't get any records with it aside from a notice saying it hadn't been in any major accidents. Anyway.

When I make sharp turns (mostly U-turns), I will feel and hear a single, sharp clunking noise/vibration. It happens once, and typically when the wheel is turned close to all the way. It's loud enough that people standing several feet away from the vehicle can hear it (and give me funny looks.)

What could this be?

Jeff

Reply to
Jef - On Degoogle

In article , Jef - On Degoogle wrote: (snip)

Hmmm - I don't know what it is, but my 1995 PI does this - a 70 degree turn can do if it's hard over enough. Although, I had the pitman and idler arms replaced recently, and I can't say for sure if it's done it since.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

Did you check for any civil servants stuck in the wheel well? :)

Reply to
mossrite

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jef - On Degoogle) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

A bent wheel. The tire rubbing either the suspension or the inner fender. A loose tie rod end or other joint.

Reply to
donutbandit

Reply to
<fitz773

Reply to
Tom

Assuming the front suspension is in good working order, nothing is broken, the clunking nose is the front sway bar frame attachment points, no secret, been happening since the early 90's, not a design flaw, the bushings are dry and need lube. Spray it and the noise goes away.

Frank from Deeeetroit

introduction

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit