Strange Steering Clunk Vibration

I recently purchased a 1999 Crown Vic (PI Package) with 80,000 miles on it. It was formerly owned by the government, so I didn't get any records with it aside from a notice saying it hadn't been in any major
accidents. Anyway.
When I make sharp turns (mostly U-turns), I will feel and hear a single, sharp clunking noise/vibration. It happens once, and typically when the wheel is turned close to all the way. It's loud enough that people standing several feet away from the vehicle can hear it (and give me funny looks.)
What could this be?
Jeff
(snip)

(snip)
Hmmm - I don't know what it is, but my 1995 PI does this - a 70 degree turn can do if it's hard over enough. Although, I had the pitman and idler arms replaced recently, and I can't say for sure if it's done it since.
-- Mark
Did you check for any civil servants stuck in the wheel well? :)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jef - On Degoogle) wrote in

A bent wheel. The tire rubbing either the suspension or the inner fender. A loose tie rod end or other joint.
I had the same thing in my 1995 and after months of looking i decided one day to change the front springs as the car was setting a bit low. That was the problem in mine. The spring wasn't broken or anything and i have no idea what was clunking,but that fixed the problem

none of the above. this is a design flaw that ford has not been able to find, and it has been a thorn in their side since 1992. every ford crown vic, mercury grand marquis, and Lincoln town car made since the introduction of this body style has made this noise, and there is nothing you can do to get rid of it. on the bright side though, it does not affect the ride or handling of the car. besides the 5 that we have, a friend has a 95 stretch limo town car with 580 thousand miles on it,and it has made this noise since he bought it new, just like mine

fender.
Assuming the front suspension is in good working order, nothing is broken, the clunking nose is the front sway bar frame attachment points, no secret, been happening since the early 90's, not a design flaw, the bushings are dry and need lube. Spray it and the noise goes away.
Frank from Deeeetroit

typically