Strange "won't start" problem...

Hi All,

I have a Ford '89 Tempo. A few days ago it wouldn't start, so I got a jump. It started fine with the jump, and while the hood was open I noticed a belt was missing--I believe it's the belt that connects the engine to the generator that recharges the battery.

So I drove the car home and a couple days later I replaced the belt. I got a jump again, since the battery hadn't been charging since the belt broke. But this time the car wouldn't start at all, even with the jumpers connected. When I turn the key, all I get is a rapid clicking sound, like a machine gun. The needle on the rpm-meter jumps up a little, so something must be moving, but it won't start. I even tried taking the belt back off again, but that didn't help either.

My battery seems OK, as it took a charge when the jumpers were connected, and the radio, lights, etc work fine.

Any ideas? Thanks!

for emailing a response, remove 'nospam' and send to snipped-for-privacy@ericsandberg.com

Reply to
E Sandberg

Sounds like trouble with the alternator or the voltage regulator or dirty connections.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Reply to
Sharon K. Cooke

charge the battery overnight and put the belt back on and you will not have any problems.... you say you charged the battery when getting a jump???? that is not charging the battery. you need about 9 volts to crank a car over... if lower than 9 volts it will not crank....... so you get a jump and someone has 12 volts in their car along with your dead battery... you add the two 12 volts from them and about 4 to 5 volts left in your battery and you get 17 divide it by two and you get a little under 9 volts... enough to energize the radio, light, and the selenoid(the machine gun sound you hear), but not enough to crank the car over.....

Reply to
jim