Strange "won't start" problem...

Hi All,
I have a Ford '89 Tempo. A few days ago it wouldn't start, so I got a jump. It started fine with the jump, and while the hood was open I noticed a belt was missing--I believe it's the belt that connects the
engine to the generator that recharges the battery.
So I drove the car home and a couple days later I replaced the belt. I got a jump again, since the battery hadn't been charging since the belt broke. But this time the car wouldn't start at all, even with the jumpers connected. When I turn the key, all I get is a rapid clicking sound, like a machine gun. The needle on the rpm-meter jumps up a little, so something must be moving, but it won't start. I even tried taking the belt back off again, but that didn't help either.
My battery seems OK, as it took a charge when the jumpers were connected, and the radio, lights, etc work fine.
Any ideas? Thanks!
for emailing a response, remove 'nospam' and send to snipped-for-privacy@ericsandberg.com
Sounds like trouble with the alternator or the voltage regulator or dirty connections.
--

>> Remove "zz" from e-mail address to direct reply. <<

"E Sandberg" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Put your battery on a charger overnight, to see if it will take and hold a charge. Odds are that it won't.
E Sandberg wrote:

E Sandberg wrote:

charge the battery overnight and put the belt back on and you will not have any problems.... you say you charged the battery when getting a jump???? that is not charging the battery. you need about 9 volts to crank a car over... if lower than 9 volts it will not crank....... so you get a jump and someone has 12 volts in their car along with your dead battery... you add the two 12 volts from them and about 4 to 5 volts left in your battery and you get 17 divide it by two and you get a little under 9 volts... enough to energize the radio, light, and the selenoid(the machine gun sound you hear), but not enough to crank the car over.....