Stuck seat belt retractor

Seat belt retractor on passenger side of my 2001 Taurus wagon is stuck in midway position between fully extended and fully closed.
Retractor clicks but the result is only a 1/2 inch movement of the belt and
no more.
How can I fix the problem?
check with your dealer
Some states have 7/70 or more/longer warranty on belts and airbag stuff

and
mine did that in a clubwagon. I took it apart and found the strap had become folded over and actually got stuck. Not sure how I got it untangled, but working with it, it freed up.