stuck throttle/cruise control

I have a1998 ford explorer my wife and kids were almost killed when the cruise control did not disengage while she exited the off ramp.She jammed the brakes hard on but the vehicle wouldn't stop .she jammed it into park
the vehicle stopped but the engine was still racing when she shut it down.
Has anybody had this problem before ? Ford dealer says it is not part of a recall
All I want is to be sure it is repaired before I sell it .buy
I had 88 crown vic do that. had blown brake light fuse so no power to brake light switch. caused it to not disconnect when hitting brake, had to turn cruise off manually on steering wheel.
--
Dave MacLeod
remove the "1" to reply