Subject : Pictures Please - Ford 351 - Ford351C - Ford351W

Hi,

I am working on a new website

and need pictures of Ford 351 engines. I had a '72 Ford Torino with a 351C engine but no good engine pictures before restoration.

Specifically, I am looking for 351 C or 351 W engines. Pictures of a "Boss 351" or 351 engines factory installed in non-Ford cars (Pantera, Ski Nautique, Jeep) will be interesting.

Please do not mail me pictures of your cars. I am looking for Ford

351 engine pictures.

Images to snipped-for-privacy@Ford351.com .

Thanks,

snipped-for-privacy@Ford351.com

Reply to
flrealbot

The internet has many pictures of all sorts of engines. Use Google "images" as a search tool, and just Google "web" to research the engines.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I wonder if you know the Cleveland and the Windsor are not related. Except that they were both in Ford cars and they sound alike because of the 351. Some parts can be made to swap with a lot of machine work. The Cleveland had a much shorter run and is more interesting in other ways. Try to hang onto it.

If you wanted to do something really interesting get into the FE big blocks.

disston

Reply to
disston

They had the same block and crank, didn't they? (As if that makes a difference.)

And then there was the 351M (modified), which was closer to the C than to the W IIRC.

Reply to
clifto

The W and C blocks weren't even close, although IIRC, Cleveland heads could be made to fit on a Windsor with some modifications and a special intake manifold. I don't remember the particulars though, that was a looong time ago. The 351C and 351M are 'similar' but there is very little interchange between the two. For all intents and purposes, they are all three distinctly different engines.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Oh heaven's no.

are correct on some days. Read up.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

And iron blocks / iron heads. And bore spacing. And bore size(4.00" - also shared with the 352 FE engine). And stroke(3.5" - also shared with the 352 FE engine). And displacement(352 cid - also shared with the 352 FE engine). And head bolt pattern. And 3.00" main bearings(on some).

Rob

other than that, they are 2 completely different eng>>> I wonder if you know the Cleveland and the Windsor are not related.

Reply to
trainfan1

Yeah, sorry about that. Most folks interested in Fords & Mustangs know all that stuff already, & that the Cleveland engine was developed to use a set of heads that were originally designed for & bolted to a Windsor engine.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

That's a new one.

As far as I'm aware, the Cleveland was designed completely independently of the Windsor to eventually be used as a Windsor replacement, and the 4V heads only ever saw use on the Windsor based Boss 302 (which required an inlet manifold unique to that particular engine). The problem with the Cleveland was that it was a horrible engine as far as emissions go, and had a very short run in the US because it couldn't meet the emissions requirements without being strangled to death.

It ran for quite some time here in Australia, but our emissions laws weren't so stringent.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Technical question: Same bore, same stroke, semi-interchangeable heads... why is one more polluting than the other?

Reply to
Patrick

'The "M", by the way, does not stand for anything. Ford only used the"M" designation to distinguish it from the 351 W (Windsor) and the nowdiscontinued 351C (Cleveland). The "M" designation has now become knowto mean "modified" or "Michigan", even though the 351M was produced atboth the Cleveland foundry and Michigan casting center.' I had one once. I did everything to that truck. It sure hurt when I sent it to the crusher.

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

The Cleveland heads.

While they'll bolt onto a Windsor block with little trouble, they're completely different to a Windsor in that the Cleveland's flow characteristics promotes poor atomization at low to mid rpm, and plenty of incomplete combustion.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

So would running them on LPG solve that problem? I mean atomization isn't going to be an issue with gas is it?

And I assume the poor atomization at low rpm is associated with better flow at high rpm?

Reply to
Patrick

They work well on lpg, provided you run a good valve seat insert, as Cleveland heads are made from a very soft grade of cast iron, and will suffer from massive valve seat recession in a big huury.

It is.

Anyone who owned a 4V Cleveland will tell you that the things do next to nothing under 4000rpm other than suck massive amounts of fuel. Once they hit that rpm band, they really take off and become a bit of a fire breather. It used to be quite a task to get any performance from the things back in the GTHO Falcon days if you ran the standard 6150rpm rev limiter, as you'd only have a couple of seconds of "play time" in the lower gears between getting on the cam and needing to change gear before the rev limiter would try to blow the mufflers off the car :)

The 2V's weren't anywhere near as bad, but still suffered from a horrible exhaust port.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

The heads were designed for the Boss 302, production of which pre-dates any Cleveland/335 engine. The cooling arrangement was slightly modified for the 335 family block.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The canted valves & semi-hemi chambers, while great for moving a lot of air & making high rpm power, were especially bad at passing unburned hydrocarbons & high oxides of nitrogen.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Nehmo wrote in news:1177999305.814966.242940 @n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

the M desigination always stood for a Modified 400. It is the same motor other than crank and pistons. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Any production Cleveland engine anyway.

The Cleveland is known to have existed in pre production form before the Boss 302 ever went into production, and the popular theory is that Ford made the two engines share a lot of physical dimensions, like cylinder head bolt spacings for example, to reduce machine tool production costs. The failure of the Tunnel Port Windsor head lead a couple of engineers to experiement with the new Cleveland head on the Windsor short motor, and the outcome of that experiment was the Boss 302 we know today.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between Boss 302 cylinder heads and early production 4v cylinder heads is the screw in studs, and slightly bigger valves of the Boss head. Laid side by side on a bench, the gasket faces look identical.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy