Suggestion: Adjustable steering wheel

Page 1 of 2
The old Jags had a telescoping adjustment steering wheel. This is more useful than the tilt steering wheel feature found on today's cars.
A telescoping wheel allows you to slide the driver's seat farther back
until the pedals are just in the right geomety, then you adust the wheel for comfort and control.
Let's see this telescoping feature combined with tilt on American cars, GM, Ford, and D-C.

My 2007 Fusion has a tilt/telescoping steering wheel. So did my 2004 Thunderbird (and it was power operated besides). Many other Fords have power adjsutable pedals. These have essentally the same net benefit. Maybe you should go look at a Ford.
Regards,
Ed White

I have it on my 07 Sonata. Nice feature with multiple drivers.
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:43:42 +0000, a rock fell the sky, hitting Edwin Pawlowski on the head, and inspiring the following:

I'm curious - do you all sit in the driver's seat at the same time?

Maximum of three. Well, three if skinny, so no more than one with me.
you are about 50 years late on this feature. i am not sure when ford started it, but i know the 56 T-Bird had it.

My 1978 Newport has it, and I wish our other vehicles did.
wanna buy a 69 newport?
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Yes, but my wife would make me get rid of my '66 Charger kit. I can think of some cars that I'd make that trade for, but not that isn't one of them.

Lets see I could get $50 at the scrap yard, but getting it there would kill my profit. Just leave it on the street with the keys in the ignition.
The real George Orwell wrote 1984.... not 1894..

it shows me you have not driven a 300c
George Orwell wrote:

George Orwell wrote:

My 1956 Thunderbird had a telescoping steering wheel; hardly a new idea.

See the Camry. If the Corolla has it I could drive that car as well.
who wrote:

2005 lacross and 2007 G6 both with tilt and telescope wheels power adjustable pedals on many new gm cars
George Orwell wrote:

I blame the stinking air bags. Carmakers now FORCE you to drive with the wheel a mile away and your elbows painfully locked straight, hardly the position for optimum control of the car. If you assumed a proper driving position with the wheel nearer your chest and your elbows comfortably bent (and thus capable of applying quick, forceful input to the wheel in an emergency), you'd be a better driver but you'd risk the air-bomb crushing your ribs. :-/
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:50:17 +0100, a rock fell the sky, hitting George Orwell on the head, and inspiring the following:

I dunno - what happens when you're driving and your knees push the wheel a little to hard?
You figure, you've got the blackberry/phone/pda in one hand, a burger/ taco/wrap in the other and at least one knee on the wheel. If you push to hard, the wheel might give, thus potentially causing a loss of control
I don't think this is a good idea.
--
kai
PerfectReign wrote:

You know, I'm just *waiting* for someone to take you seriously and flame you for this... ;-)
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:15:57 -0500, a rock fell the sky, hitting Steve on the head, and inspiring the following:

ROTFL!
Believe it or not, I used to actually do that.
I do try and refrain from reading the blackberry while actually moving...
...well faster than 20 mph anyway...

No flames here. Heard on the radio news the other day, the people's republic of NJ was considering a bill to out law text messaging while driving. To go along with the no cell phone ban in place now. How about a IQ test along with the vision test for license applicants instead.