sulfur from exhaust

How do I track this puppy down? I see from people comments that it could be either Coolant sensor Oxygen sensor leaky injectors plugged catalytic converter

But I really don't want to start replacing things. How do I troubleshoot this problem? Thanks

Reply to
cod

My wife's 91 Buick LeSabre smells of sulfur when she backs up her car. And without replacing everthing I wanted to know how to troubleshoot this problem. How do I check the leaky injectors, oxygen sensor, coolant sensor, etc.

Reply to
cod

Not sure how to check those, but I would imagine if any of your sensors or such had a problem you would be getting a check engine light. It may be wise to remove and clean your oxygen sensors just for the heck of it. I doubt your injectors need cleaning or replacing unless you have really high miles on the car or it has sat for long periods of time without use.

Is the smell there all the time or just for the first few minutes after she starts the car? If it's just after you start the car it's just because the car is running rich. Also may be incomplete compustion if your ignition system isn't up to snuff (old plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.), but that would leave the smell there all the time.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

isnt that a plugged cat converter, always heard your car smells like old eggs when that happens

Reply to
Petebert

My '82 Z-28 has smelled like that since new. Even with a new cat replaced. Seems like GM cars have that distinct exhaust odor. Oh by the way, it recently passed with flying colors the emissions test. The guy could not believe a car that old did so well. Go figure, stinks but still passes.

Reply to
el lobo

woody opined in news:Q5HNa.44131$926.4834@sccrnsc03:

But almost every time I have smelled that, it has been from a GM car.

Do they still use the "honeycomb" technology?

Lobo: If you have Speedway or Marathon or Ashland available locally, try a few tanks and see if it still smells. I guaranteee they make good gas. Just get it from a high-volume station.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I picked up a car from a dealler that got it from an old man. I know that is the same old story, but it only have 85thou kms on it. The car is a 91 and I bought it in 98. So it could have been setting around.

Reply to
cod

Don't have them here in Texas, but over the years used different brands and grades with the same result. Agree with with you about the GM thing, I can normally tell if a GM car is ahead of me.

el lobo

Reply to
el lobo