Swapping dash

I just wondered how interchangeable dash systems are.
For example, the standard dash in the late model Mustangs and the optional dash with the driver information center. I realize you'd have to also get
the buttons for the console, but will it swap in? If you don't get the switches, will all the instruments in the clusters work?
I know some things are 'upgradable' fairly easy, like the light switch to add the GT lights in the dash, but I'm wondering what else?
Mike

From what I read in my repair manual for my 99, you can't even swap the dash without a proprietary computer system to program it to the car it's going into.

optional
get
There is a repair procedure to 'resync' the mileage, or so I've been told. That apparently applies to any dash swap, but is really intended as if it was a repair and the equivalent part went back in.
My question is about the compatibility. When I had my Jeep, I saw a smashup in the junkyard with the optional dash. Full instrumentation. I picked up the entire dash assembly for $20 and it dropped right in. The only thing I had to do was change the oil sender and everything worked.
When I had my Intrepid, I discovered that Chrysler started building a 'standard' vehicle about 1994 or 95. Prior to that, you MIGHT have had to add a few wires to the harness if you picked up options in the junkyard, but after that, everything was usually in place.