swapping engines

does anybody know if u can swap a 351 cleveland for 360 in a 70 ford f100

yes u can
Not unless you plan on changing the trans too; actually there are a LOT of differences between the two engines, so from a practical standpoint, the answer is NO

For something as bone simple as a '70 F100 you CAN install just about anything. Might need to fab mounts, change tranny and driveshaft, but that's all simple stuff in something like a '70 F100. Had A Lincoln/Edsel 410 in a 35 Chevy.

Yes you can, But the transmission and probably the engine mounts or stands will need to be swapped too...
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 14:35:17 -0500, "nyslide"
yes you can, just as long as you replace the tranny, the engine mounts, the tranny cross member, the drive shaft, and the exhaust, no problems mate...
SteveL
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 14:35:17 -0500, "nyslide"
Ditto what the others have said. When you are done and, if you use the truck for pulling or hauling, you will wish you had the 360 back. The far simpler and cheaper thing to do is replace the 360 with another of the FE family which are all pretty much bolt-ins with much better truck performance. One of the best in that family for a PU as a daily driver used for work is the 390. The 351C was never offered in a truck for good reason. The 351M was put into trucks beginning in 1974 or 75 IIRC but, it is not quite the same as a 351C and has a big block bell housing bolt pattern like the 360 FE engine. IIRC, it would still need different side mounts to install. Make sure you know what you are looking at when you deal with Ford engines.
Lugnut

The 351M/400 have a 429/460 transmission bolt patteren, which is not the same as the 360's FE transmission bolt patteren.
IIRC, it would still need different side

lugnut wrote:

Ditto on the 390, I never really cared for the 360. Although installing another FE would be by far the best route, they are getting a little hard to come by these days. I know from experience that a 351 Windsor with a C4 trans will bolt right into that series of Ford pickups. I used 302 motor and trans mounts. No crossmember or driveshaft changes were necessary. The motor and trans was complete with all of the accessories, carb, etc. The only sticky part was the exhaust. I had to modify the passenger car Y-pipe. This was possible because the truck was available with a 302/C4 which is very similar to the 351 Windsor. With that said, I don't remember if the Cleveland and Windsor motors used the same bolt pattern on the block for the motor mounts. IF they do, the combo should sit right in there. IF the motor is complete air cleaner to oil pan AND has all of the accessories AND 302 mounts will work, it might actually be a neat project. Before you jump into a swap like this you need to do some homework, including an attempt to locate another FE motor.

Didn't the 390s have lots of problems with cracked blocks down by the camshaft bosses? Seems I recall seeing quite a few with oil leaking into the cooling jackets because of these cracks.

Yes they did, in the 6000 to 7000rpm range, making 600 or more HP, they do have a tendancy to crack the block in the #3 crank journal up to the #3 cam journal. This was corrected late in the production run for the 428CJ engines...
However, we're talking about a low rpm truck application, so there are no problems with the block unless a complete idiot is behind the wheel...
SteveL

The "original" 351 Cleveland sits into the same mounts as the 302, and matches it's transmission bolt pattern...
351CJ wrote:

Hmmm, Well if he has a C4 trans it should work. I did the 390 to 351W swap about 27 years ago so the details are a bit foggy. Started on Friday afternoon and was driving the truck Sunday afternoon. Pretty easy for a broke 17 year old who was just learning about cars. If the OP has any automotive knowledge and money for ancillary things like hoses, trans lines, misc exhaust parts, etc it should be doable.

The OP looked like he wanted to simply remove a 360 and drop in a 351C, which won't work for the same reason that a 460 won't work; the trans will need to be changed too. Sure, anything is possible with enough changes, but I did not think that he was asking that. <clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote: