Synthetic ATF in 2005 Lincoln Town Car?

Does anyone recommend or not recommend using Synthetic ATF (Mobil most likely) in a 2005 Lincoln Town Car signature limited? The car would normally take Mercon V.
I'm looking for real longevity out of the transmission and perhaps, but secondarily, smoother shifting and a performance edge. But mostly longevity.
Any opinions?
Thanks in advance.
I thought Mercon V was already synthetic....at least if you are willing to buy the Castrol definition of synthetic (hydroprocessed).
I doubt there is any benefit to using Mobil 1 Mercon V as opposed to Motorcraft Mercon V or Valvoline Mercon V. Just make sure it is Mercon V. Persoanlly I stay away from ATF's that say they are universal or good for all sorts of vehicles. These days it seems that every manufacturer has their own special ATF (and often several different ones depending ont he actual transmission). Hard for me to believe that the one fluid fits many can be as good. If it was my Lincoln, I'd just buy the Ford Mercon V and be done with it.
Ed

The Derfer wrote:

I got 200,000 miles on my trans using Mercon V As far as I know Mercon V is synthetic..... I have with my programmer firmed up the shifting...
Mercon V is a semi synth. I've got 200k on my Sable with it, still going strong. Regular changes are the key to longevity. Unless your towing heavy trailers with it I'd stick with the Mercon V