Synthetic Motor Oil?

Page 1 of 2
We have a contour and manual says it could go 5000 between oil changes. I have a hard time going 5000 mile between changes since I've always done my own changes at 3000. as you know the new cars & imports could go 5000 - 7500
between changes. Since I'm not totally at ease using conventional oil to do this I wanted to know if there is any problem changing from conventional to Synthetic? The car has 30000 miles and has been broke in on Castrol conventional oil and we had been changing at 3000 but we are thinking about making the switch so we could extend to 5000 between changes. I'd appreciate any feedback I could get on this.
Thanks in advance,
Joe
Go for Mobile 1. There should be no problem with extending the oil changes to 5000 mi between changes.
Jeff

Your car has low enough mileage to convert to synthetic with no problem. I also recommend Mobil1. I also recommend going to max vehicle recommendation change interval as recommended for conventional oil (typically 7500 miles), but using synthetic with no concern. (FYI-My BMW recommends 16,000 miles between synthetic oil changes.) I have a 1987 Taurus with 145K on the clock that has been on synthetic since new. My rule has been 7500 miles, or 1 year, which ever came first. The car still does not burn a drop of oil, although at this age is starting to leak some, but not enough to need to add any between changes!
"Keith B. Silverman" wrote:

Snip////
What is the general notion about mileage? I've got a 97 T-Bird 4.6 with 100 K on it that runs like a dream. Started with Kendall, switched to Valvoline Race 20-50 at around 30K. Been wondering if it would be wise to switch to Mobil 1.
Frank
While most say it's OK to convert at any time, I do not always agree. If there is any sludge build-up in the engine, the synthetic will try to clean it out and it will all end up circulating around. Heard of a story (have no idea if it's true) where someone converted to synthetic with a high mileage car and because all the sludge got loosened up, it ended up plugging some oil passages and they blew out the rod bearings due to lack of lubrication.
Just my opinion and a story.

While Dino DOES build up a layer inside the engine, you should have no trouble with the clean-up if the oil has been changed anywhere near the regular schedule.
If you are worried about that, change the filter in the first 500- 1000 miles, leave the oil for 3000 the first time. Then go for the longer duration IF you run the engine over 30 minutes in one trip/week, which will boil off condensation and prevent sludge.
Synth WILL clean up the inside of your engine
As far as the synth finding leaks... it wont find any that arent already there.
Mobil 1 only... Castrol is NOT really synthetic ("hydrocracked petrol. based"!!!? - ptuuui) and costs about the same.
There's lots of threads on this in this group in the google archives... most just say whats been said here
Purolator Pure One filter
Keith B. Silverman opined in

"Keith B. Silverman" wrote:

I have a practice of (this oughta bring some response) of adding a half quart of trany fluid to my oil and letting it idle for about 15 minutes before each change. Based on a suggestion by an old timer before there was synthetics. From what I can see peeking through the valve cover it looks clean.
`F.H opined in

Yeah... and before that they used kerosene.
But if you use a true synth, there's no need to "flush".
OK, Mobil 1 looks good...the car call for 5-30w and the local vendor looks like they only have it in 10-30w,, with winter on it's way what do you think?

Joe opined in

5w-30 But if it doesnt get below 10F where you live, 10w should be okay.
"Local Vendor"?!!!!!!
Everyone around here - central ohio- that sells oil sells Mobil 1. Look around at discount stores... Meijer (if you have them) often have it on sale.

Mobil 0W-30 covers it all and Mobil Corporation is quite clear when they say that their synthetic oils are completely compatible with conventional oil and that you can switch whenever you please. Check their web site.
Go to Target, Walmart, Kmart or Sam's Club. They should have it.
Jeff

Hey, an oil change at Wal-Mart using Mobil 1 and whatever filter they have that day is just $29.00. Try buying the oil for that price! Plus, they dispose of the old oil...not a bad deal in SoCal.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Actually, you can't go wrong using the $2.97 (USD) MOTORCRAFT oil filters(probably a Purolator unit) from WalMart on your FORD... even the $1.97 "Tech 2000" filters appear to have better construction than the Frams...
Rob * * *
So far, the WM filter has either been a Fram or an Autolite, both of which are just fine in my book.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley opined in

Fram arent "just fine" for most who actually LOOK at how the things are built.
But they work most of the time and I'm sure they dont have metal shavings in them anymore.. plus it's your car.
I meant Motorcraft not Autolite
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Picked up a 5 qt container of Mobil 1 at my local Wal Mart the other day for $18.88
I've been using the FL-820S Motorcraft filters on my 4.6 Ford since day one. Under $3 across from oil.
When I contemplate what the negative possibilities are allowing a barely skilled oil changer guy to do my oil vs me doing it myself I always end up doing it myself even though the filter on the 4.6 in a 95 T-Bird is in a lousy spot to reach compared to my other two cars. Plus while I am waiting for the oil to fully drainoout of the engine I get a chance to look around underneath for other unexpected troubles.
Problems my family has had with quick change lube joints:
Oil not changed Filter not changed drain plug cross threaded drain plug put in too tight and stripped threads drain plug too loose (leaking oil) no oil put back in car something else broken while changing oil told something else is broken to sell some "sale" item like batteries. car interior gunked up free car wash with oil change. Car wash chews up rear wiper arm on back window of Explorer
Steve Stone wrote:

Steve, you are a master of understatement. The Ford engineer who designed the apparatus around the location of the oil filter probably is still laughing uncontrollably to this day.

Try Valvoline Instant Oil Change where they failed to replace the differential plug. The manager would not own up to it and my 86 year old mother-in-law didn't want to go through the hassle of suing. Cost her nearly $700 to have all the rear-end bearings replaced. I wanted to rip the manager's head off.