Synthetic Oil

OK, so I finally became convinced to swith to synthetic oil instead of dino oil. I did a lot of searching on the net and found site after site after
site about Amsoil, and have seen it mentioned here from time to time. I'd never heard of it, nor have I seen it in stores. Is it along the same lines as the Slick-50 products (that is, light wallet, no benefit)?
On the same note, I checked with the local WalMart which has the store brand (SuperTech) synthetic at ~$12.50 for a 5qt. The dept manager there said it was made by Mobil, as in Mobil 1. I don't know if I should believe that. Anyone know who makes that oil for WM?
Thanks.

WHAT are your driving habits, please?
My opinion: If you're gonna use Synth, go alla way... or else make your own blend. Why use anything but Mobil 1? Watch stores for gallon or 5 quart bottles.
"____ makes our store brand." Talk is cheap and you aint gonna sue him if you find out he's wrong.
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, I know what I saw... and I'll stick with it
till I find out otherwise.

Then I'd say it's a tossup.. key is to have the engines running at operating temp at least 10 minutes per avg trip. If they arent, then use dino oil (personal opinion brand caveat elsewhere in thread), and change every 3-4 months.
As I've said frequently, my long-commute (30 mile each way or more) experience with Mobil 1 and extended changes shows excellent results when engine is torn down. Anyone with half a brain would recommend changing filter at least every 5,000... so I will too.
you pay..DEAL with it!

A quick search shows numerous posts of "I heard XXX makes Wal-Mart oil", ranging from Havoline to Quaker State. One person stated that a recycling company in Canada supplied it. I am always a little leery of "It's just as good as. . ." For the few cents more per quart, I'll put my money on the name brand. Just my 2 cents worth. Your opinion may vary.
SC Tom

Does the brand matter as long as the SAE grade is at the right level?

Not if you're not keeping the car... They all work in the short term.
Those of us who keep their cars a long time tend to steer clear of famous oils with names referring to large eastern states.
And famous oil filters with 4 letter names
you pay..DEAL with it!

I thought Pure was a pretty good filter.
MeThinks he means the one that rhymes with "SPAM"

I've been using Amsoil for years, changed the oil to Series 2000 0w-30 and amsoil filters, change the filter every 6 months and the oil+filter once a year, it's been working out great for me. Also switched the tranny oil to amsoil (something you Ford folks should definitely think about doing with the high failure rate those trannys have) and it's also given me no problems, still nice and red after all this time :)
-GV

I've still got AmWay carwash stuff from 30 years ago...
you pay..DEAL with it!
GMach3 wrote:

make synthetic oil so chance are walls marts oil is made by "one" (who know it could change next week when they get a bid from someone else) of these companies.
(...)

Even if it is made by one of those companies, it does not mean that it is the same quality of oil that is in the name-brand oil. These same companies make cheap motor oil, too. And the way WalMart squeezes pennies, it also is squeezing quality. A lot of companies make cheaper goods for WalMart that are inferior quality.
Jeff

But no matter what it has to meet API standards to get their ratings. So, it comes with thirdparty verification.
hth,
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com