Synthetic Oil in 97 Taurus?

I'll be changing my oil in a couple of days, and I've been considering swtiching to synthetic because of the longer change interval, and better cold weather lubrication.
I'm in "the frozen north", where the temprature hits the -25f mark fairly often in the winter, and apart from anything else, I'd like to avoid the oil change I always seem to need to do around Janruary in the cold. I also like the idea of the oil actually moving when I start the car in cold weather.
The car is a 97 taurus, vulcan 3.0, with about 120000 miles on it. It currently does -not- leak any (dino) oil at all. Am I inviting oil leaks by switching to the thinner synthetic?
I was thinking Mobil 1 synthetic, is there a better brand though?
Also, what brand oil filter is best to use, if I want to go to a 6000 mile oil change using synthetic?
Thanks!
Teknical wrote:

I switched to Mobil 1 at 95,000 mi. on our 97 Vulcan. I did not get to the next change for 10k, but the oil was still quite clean, no sludge, no oil added. I'm at 109k now... no oil usage or leaks, but this engine was squeaky clean to start with. The Motorcraft filters, only $2.97 @ WalMart, are a superior product, on par with the highly recommended Purolator "Pure One". You just cannot beat them at this price or near it.
Rob