T/C and ABS lights both on

Hey
I have a 2002 Windstar sport. Tonight, when I started the van, the traction control and ABS lights stayed on both at the same time and remained on while
I drove to my destination. This is the first time this has ever happened. Now, the weather is terrible outside. It is snowing and mild so it is somewhat slushy and a heavy snow out there. Could this have an impact on these controls?
Thanks
I should state the obvious, the fact that these lights are on means that both the traction control and ABS are disabled. Just thought I would mention that in case it was assumed that it was just an idiot light problem.

Traction control relies upon the ABS sensors in order to calculate degree of wheel spin. A defective sensor could well result in both lights being tripped. Might be as simple as a wire being unplugged or..........
Get a mechanic you TRUST check it. Shouldn't be too difficult to diagnose on a vehicle this current. You've got your recalls up to date right?

my bet wss
hurc ast
Someone has bet on a wheel speed sensor... very possible but codes need to be read to verify and avoid replacing parts unnecessarily (oh, I can see the reply now...). Traction control and ABS are interrelated and are more readily referred to as IVD (Interactive Vehicle Dynamics) on your model. Part of the traction control involves detorquing the motor (though ignition timing changes) and applying brakes (through the ABS system) as necessary.
If you are handy, you could inspect the wheels speed sensor harnesses to determine if ice has built up and broken the wires but even then, there could be damage not obvious to the naked eye. If not, this fix should not be terribly spendy (providing, indeed, that the root cause is a sensor). The module and HCU are located beneath the van but both should be well out of harms way barring any undocumented obstacles.
HTH

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 04:31:52 GMT, "Jim Warman"

ice lmfao sensors prone to dirt dust , brake dust andmud lmfao warman u go girl
hurc ast

Thanks for the replies from everyone.
Where abouts would the wheel speed sensor harness be located. I would like to inspect it myself because I am out of warranty right now and if it is obvious then I would like to take care of it.
Thanks
If you look inside the wheel wells, the wires to the sensor are usually paired with the brake hoses by plastic clips. I'm dead sure this is true for the fronts... the rears may differ but the wires should be readily identifiable if you follow them up from the brake backing plates.....
Over to you gooey girl...

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:18:49 GMT, "Jim Warman"

put a voltmeter spin the wheel hurc ast
And that checks the wiring through osmosis??? If you ever do actually fix anything, I'll bet you leave your customers financially bereft and your tool of choice is the shotgun.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:07:28 GMT, "Jim Warman"

or you can tell it works by looking at wires lmfao u go girl
hurc ast